Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
The N-Gage was my very first cell phone. Memories... 🥲
So, it's interesting for me to see prototype stuff like this.

We (Super Fighter Team) actually produced a game for the S60v2 series (including N-Gage, naturally): Super Fighter Block Battle. We initially had plans to sell it, but ran into development delays concerning the Bluetooth 2P mode. By the time we had everything all figured out, and the game completed, the market for v2 had completely eroded. So! We released it for free. 👍

Anyway, please keep sharing info & photos as you have time, it's cool.

Reactions: Arcadia
D

Deleted member 2631

Original poster
-

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
Nice. So basically Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo just without the Street Fighter II stuff..?

Not exactly. It follows the rules of Tetris, and you can deal damage to the opponent when you clear lines. So in this way, it's possible to win or lose based on either filling the screen with blocks or depleting energy. Players can regain energy by clearing lines using special blocks.

The N-Gage was our primary test system, since it and the 3650 were the two Symbian phones I owned at the time. So I can assure you, the game most definitely runs perfectly on an N-Gage. If you do give it a try, please share your feedback.

D

Deleted member 2631

Original poster
-

D

Deleted member 2631

Original poster
-

Mr. Sound-About

Never let dreams die!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
www.superfighter.com
AGName
Mr. Sound-About
AG Join Date
Jan 15, 2005
Thanks for trying, I'm glad you're enjoying it. To address your comments:

1). I don't recall ever hearing any pops in the music, testing on ~4-5 different Symbian phones of the time. But I never tested on QD specifically as I never owned one. It is a slower tempo song than most of the others, I can confirm that much. Was slower to set the "downer" tone of the story.

2). I agree about the slow transition time.

3). I don't recall enough about the controls as I haven't played in years, but we found them serviceable enough to play through to the end.

4). The ZIPped installer was provided because many web browsers of the time, by default, tried to display a SIS file as if it were a web page, rather than opening up a save dialog. It's mainly still offered as a ZIP in case someone's using an older and / or more simple browser.

Being the first fully original game I ever produced, it's far from perfect but I'm still proud of it, and it's nice to have someone playing it all the way into 2021.

D

Deleted member 2631

Original poster
-

Make a donation