Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

X360 360 Slim S Red dot, repair suggestions?

Virtua Hunter

Original poster
Registered
Jun 23, 2019
Hello

My Xbox 360 Slim S model suddenly shows a Red dot while powering it up, black screen of course.
The code combination is 4114 or 0110, reading online it seems a RAM chip issue.

Is is possible/worth to repair, or I better just buy a new one?
I need some in depth info about these:

1-The red dot and RAM issue is common to all Xbox360 S Slim or not? If I buy one new, in future it will surely break as well or I was just unlucky with my unit? I though Slim consoles solved the soldering issues that plagued the fat models XBox360...

2-For the RAM chip issue they suggest to reball or reflow, are those definitive solutions or it'll just last 1-2 years max?

3-Changing just the motherboard is viable? I mean without modding the console, HDD and DVD drive and every other parts will be recognized by the new mother board without touching anything?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you

CygnosOne

Donator
Donator
May 18, 2020
Donations
£8.56
From my experience. It´s most likely an issue with the XCGPU.

1. It´s an common error with these devices. Fat´s more. Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon and the new Slim. Rarely i had these errors on Jasper consoles.

2. None. It´s most likely not an RAM Failure. In my experince. If you reball a GPU on a FAT Console. It will most likely get the same failure in a couple of days/weeks. On Slim consoles, most of the time it works for a long time after that (In my experience) if you do a reball. These old chips are dying because of c4 bumps problems or excessive heat on the die´s (Don´t have an Xray machine but a lot of experience). ATI and Nvidia had this problems often in 2000 - 2010 area. The Xbox 360 GPU is a custom chip made by ATI (now AMD).

3. Yeah, you can change the motherboard. But you have to reprogramm the DVD-Drive to match the dvd-key of your new motherboard. Depends on what drive you have. Some of these cannot be flashed due to hardware locks. But for you, the best way is to buy a new motherboard with a drive (parred). It´s cheaper if you buy a new or refubished console.

That whole reballing and reflow takes a lot of practise and Know How to get it right...

Hope i helped you a bit...

If not ask me :)

Virtua Hunter

Original poster
Registered
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you

So if the Xbox 360 Slim are plagued by the same issue of 360 fat, I wonder what future Xbox360 has as retrogaming and for preservation.

I did some research and like you said, it seems the 0110 error is tied to XCGPU, don't know why some people say it's a Ram failure.

I discovered a shop that do professional reballing with a machine like this:

do you think a professional repair can be a definitive solution, or it's always a matter of luck?

I'd like to just get a new Xbox 360 (if they are still around), especially if the price in the end will be similar to a repair, but I don't want to risk another Red Dot in 5-7 years...
Slim's "Trinity" and "Corona" motherboards can both Red Dot?

EDIT: I forgot to metion that I noticed a rattling sound whan I move the console, something tiny and metallic, like a spring.

Make a donation