Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

NES 8bitdo receiver on original famicom?

clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I've being trying recently to mod my original famicom in order to accept 8bitdo's nes receiver.
For the purpose of this mid, I got some cheap nes expansion cables just for the male and female connectors. Then, using some internal controller cables I had from a broken famicom I made a makeshift cable that connects to the controller sockets. I kept the length of the cable as short a possible.

So far, my attempt seem to fail. On player one, the adapter blinks rapidly green but won't sync. On player two it doesn't power at all.

Is it even possible for the receiver eletricaly to operate on an original famicom? I was unable to find anything on the net regarding this matter, or even a pinout/schematic of the receiver

This is the wiring I followed using the original cables, in case I soldered something in the wrong place:
GND -> brown
CLOCK->yellow
LATCH->orange
DATA->red
VCC->white

and on controller 2
D3 -> blue

gorgyrip

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
gorgyrip
AG Join Date
26 octomber 2007
If you use an official nes controller, does it work?

clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I don't have my nes controllels with me. I'll borrow one from a friend to check this. Can I use both ntsc and pal controllers? My friend has only pal ( I think so)

gorgyrip

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
gorgyrip
AG Join Date
26 octomber 2007
Yes, PAL is fine. If the nes controller will not work, then it's the wires you used or incorrect wiring.

clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
Quarantine time (again) in my country, so I decided to revisit this project.
Maybe I discovered what is wrong with my diy adapter. Some of the pins don't make a solid connection with the 8bitdo adapter due to the cheap brittle plastic nature of the plugs. I'll try to use the port of the second player as I haven't used that at all. If that also fails, where can I get some good quality extension nes cables in Europe?

clueless

Original poster
Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
Two (!!) years later, I gave this mod one more shot . It turned out that my 8bitdo receiver was the issue. Using another receiver, the mod works perfectly.

Any ideas on how to fix the broken one? It is constantly blinking green, wherever I plug it. My pc won't recognize it even, so the 8bitdo upgrade utility can't even see it.

Gwendal

Sep 21, 2022
Two (!!) years later, I gave this mod one more shot . It turned out that my 8bitdo receiver was the issue. Using another receiver, the mod works perfectly.

Any ideas on how to fix the broken one? It is constantly blinking green, wherever I plug it. My pc won't recognize it even, so the 8bitdo upgrade utility can't even see it.
Did you also mod your famicom controllers to be wireless? If so, does the Player 2 mic work with the 8bitdo adapter?

Make a donation