Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

90’s first person shooters! Unreal - 4/27

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Decided to do a new mini series dedicated to my love of 90’s dos shooters and how could you not start with Blood?

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

One of the best of the 90s

Reactions: Traace

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Crazy to think this is 21 years old now!

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019

Unreal...still...well...Unreal 21 years later lol

Reactions: Traace

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
An interesting thing about Unreal: I have a PC I built with a Voodoo 3 and a Matrox m3D installed, and for some reason this game won’t run on the Voodoo 3, but it will run on the m3D. The performance on the m3D is pretty good, but only if you run it at a lower resolution, which kinda sucks. It’s at least playable at VGA or even higher resolutions, though.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
An interesting thing about Unreal: I have a PC I built with a Voodoo 3 and a Matrox m3D installed, and for some reason this game won’t run on the Voodoo 3, but it will run on the m3D. The performance on the m3D is pretty good, but only if you run it at a lower resolution, which kinda sucks. It’s at least playable at VGA or even higher resolutions, though.
Weird. Must be a driver issue?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Weird. Must be a driver issue?

Probably something like that. Unreal only supports Glide for Voodoo cards I think, and the Voodoo 3 is incompatible with some Glide games that were designed for the older Voodoo cards. I think the reason for that is because the game files actually contain some of the driver files that are needed, and those files will only work with the older Voodoo cards (like the Voodoo 1 and 2). I don’t know if that’s the case with Unreal. It’s also possible that something else in my system is incompatible with the Glide version.

Another neat thing: the other day I picked up an old e-machines PC that has an integrated Intel 810, which contains the Intel i752 graphics processor, which is a slightly enhanced version of the Intel i740, which itself is Intel and Real3D’s scaled-down, low cost version of the graphics chip used in the Sega Model 3. The i740 supposedly had rather poor performance, but I’ve always found it interesting because of the connection to Lockheed Martin and the Model 3. I was thinking I could use this system as a secondary system for LAN games, as well as for games like Unreal that don’t run well or at all on my other system.

By the way, from what I understand, the i752 in the Intel 810 is very similar to the i740, just with slightly better performance and a few added features like support for multi-texturing.

Awbacon

Original poster
Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Probably something like that. Unreal only supports Glide for Voodoo cards I think, and the Voodoo 3 is incompatible with some Glide games that were designed for the older Voodoo cards. I think the reason for that is because the game files actually contain some of the driver files that are needed, and those files will only work with the older Voodoo cards (like the Voodoo 1 and 2). I don’t know if that’s the case with Unreal. It’s also possible that something else in my system is incompatible with the Glide version.

Another neat thing: the other day I picked up an old e-machines PC that has an integrated Intel 810, which contains the Intel i752 graphics processor, which is a slightly enhanced version of the Intel i740, which itself is Intel and Real3D’s scaled-down, low cost version of the graphics chip used in the Sega Model 3. The i740 supposedly had rather poor performance, but I’ve always found it interesting because of the connection to Lockheed Martin and the Model 3. I was thinking I could use this system as a secondary system for LAN games, as well as for games like Unreal that don’t run well or at all on my other system.

By the way, from what I understand, the i752 in the Intel 810 is very similar to the i740, just with slightly better performance and a few added features like support for multi-texturing.
the hardest part about old computers is just how hard they were to get running compared to modern hardware

Reactions: Raen

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
the hardest part about old computers is just how hard they were to get running compared to modern hardware

Yeah, it’s kind of a lot of work, but it can be pretty fun too. And the end result is pretty cool. With my current hardware, I know all of its quirks such that I can install the OS and all the drivers and have everything working really fast - and I could even change parts of the hardware and it wouldn’t change the process that much.

Make a donation