Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

about a 3ds dev unit

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
I've been considering picking up a 3ds dev unit that people call a "panda"
I was wondering, are those region free? or is it just the same basically as a regular unit region wise?
I'm kinda ignorant in regards to 3ds dev stuff or 3ds modding stuff and so on.
I apologize about that.

Dans34

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 19, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dans87
AG Join Date
Jan 6, 2013
I too would like to know the capabilities of such a system

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
I've been considering picking up a 3ds dev unit that people call a "panda"
I was wondering, are those region free? or is it just the same basically as a regular unit region wise?
I'm kinda ignorant in regards to 3ds dev stuff or 3ds modding stuff and so on.
I apologize about that.

The standard sized 3DS units are region specific - the XL unit is region free. No, I have no idea why they did that.

Other things to note are that the dev units won't run retail software and that they still require the software to be signed - it's just that it has to be signed using the development keys supplied with the SDK tools and not retail keys.

You can hack them and install custom firmware which removes these restrictions - but if you're going to do this you might as well get a retail unit and hack it.

Reactions: Kuriatsu

Kuriatsu

Original poster
May 30, 2019
The standard sized 3DS units are region specific - the XL unit is region free. No, I have no idea why they did that.

Other things to note are that the dev units won't run retail software and that they still require the software to be signed - it's just that it has to be signed using the development keys supplied with the SDK tools and not retail keys.

You can hack them and install custom firmware which removes these restrictions - but if you're going to do this you might as well get a retail unit and hack it.

What about the "new 3ds XL" units? are those also region free? or is it only the "3ds xl" units?
Thank you for the info :)

No Good

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
good
AG Join Date
Sep 9, 2010
All test units can launch software for any region. But only the software encrypted with dev keys

The standard sized 3DS units are region specific
As far I know it is possible to change regions of the 'standard' units, simply install the firmware of the desired region.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuriatsu

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
As far I know it is possible to change regions of the 'standard' units, simply install the firmware of the desired region.

Maybe - I never tried that. As they were delivered from Nintendo, they were region specific, though.

What about the "new 3ds XL" units? are those also region free? or is it only the "3ds xl" units?
Thank you for the info :)

Unfortunately, I can't tell you - they were released after I had any involvement with the 3DS

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Maybe Ricky knows about this unit. I've seen him post some 3ds dev stuff.. or maybe it was DS. Um.. ._.

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
there is no one "official dev util" do all thing....
but they have "official magic util" do a lot thing

for collection official is flash light on your table ,
for fun , hack util do a lot thing what you want

still a lot unknown magic stuff in dark ,ppl don't want show up it ;)

Reactions: Pinta77

No Good

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
good
AG Join Date
Sep 9, 2010
Just went through the docs :

CTR Test Unit (old 3ds 'Panda')

- Test Units are manufactured and sold separately for different world regions (such as USA, EU, AUS, etc). Due to federal regulations regarding wireless transmission hardware, test units must not be physically moved outside of their manufactured region. When ordering, be sure to choose the correct region for where the test unit will be used. Each test unit will be shipped with a power supply specific to its region.

- All test units can run software for any region. For example, a USA test unit can run EU firmware and test games for the EU market, etc.

- Test Units need their firmware updated from time to time. Installing firmware requires the use of a CTR flash card, and a unit that can write the CTR flash card (any CTR debugger unit or writer unit). Without access to this equipment, you won't be able to update the firmware on a test unit.

And there is no such restriction for the new 3ds 'Panda', that can be updated right through microSD

Last edited:

code1038

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
code1038
eBay Username
code1038
Nintendo has a "retail version" of the panda unit and their region is locked.
they operate as a retail unit only.
they use it on exhibition or give it to the press
(this one is from Bertrand AMAR, a French TV presenter)

ctrrcap3.jpg

Reactions: Pinta77

Make a donation