Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I was scrolling through reddit and found this posted by u/spyspyo on r/gamecube. Is this something significant?

Screenshot_20200225-222417_Reddit.jpgScreenshot_20200225-222606_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Goemon

Registered
Feb 15, 2020
AGName
Goemon
AG Join Date
The TDEV is normaly brown but that was usually not good for displaying it in pubic.
This indigo version was most likely used for tradeshows to avoid questions why the Gamecube is brown.
I know stories of a big studio who changed like 20 green NR Readers to standard indigo for tradeshow display.

Reactions: Pinta77

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
The TDEV is normaly brown but that was usually not good for displaying it in pubic.
This indigo version was most likely used for tradeshows to avoid questions why the Gamecube is brown.

So, why was the TDEV normally brown? I always thought they just used colors that weren't available in retail models, to make make it easier for the developers/testers to quickly tell them apart from retail systems.

MSX

Is secretly 32-bit
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£543.68
AGName
MSX
AG Join Date
Dec 7, 2011
Can't say I ever heard of this. You would think though if they needed a kit to show publicly it would be an indigo NR reader.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Can't say I ever heard of this. You would think though if they needed a kit to show publicly it would be an indigo NR reader.
Yeah, weird. Or if they were planning on taking these out in public, why weren't they all purple to begin with

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
The original colors were just Nintendo being amusing - the NPDP-reader was intended for development and was red (for Mario) and the NR-reader was for testing and was green (for Luigi). Developers quickly noticed that the distinctive color of the NR-Reader sometimes resulted in them being stolen at shows (the same thing happened with the debug PlayStations) - so it became common for people to swap the NR-reader drive into a retail cube for camouflage purposes when they were doing public demos.

Later on, Nintendo would start supplying retail looking NR-Readers on special request, but most of them were just converted by the developers.

The same approach carried on with the Wii - except in that case the white version of the RVT-R (wireless) that could pass for a retail was available pretty much from day 1.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
The original colors were just Nintendo being amusing - the NPDP-reader was intended for development and was red (for Mario) and the NR-reader was for testing and was green (for Luigi). Developers quickly noticed that the distinctive color of the NR-Reader sometimes resulted in them being stolen at shows (the same thing happened with the debug PlayStations) - so it became common for people to swap the NR-reader drive into a retail cube for camouflage purposes when they were doing public demos.

Later on, Nintendo would start supplying retail looking NR-Readers on special request, but most of them were just converted by the developers.

The same approach carried on with the Wii - except in that case the white version of the RVT-R (wireless) that could pass for a retail was available pretty much from day 1.
Yeah, well.. Nintendo is good st being amusing :p

Make a donation