Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I'm not much of a fighting game person, but the gamecube happens to have not one, but two of my favorite fighting games of all time. Melee of course, and Soul Calibur 2.

Now of course Soul Calibur 2 was on Playstation 2 also, and I think xbox. (I assume the game functions mostly the same aside from the console exclusive characters.) But regardless, I like the game a lot. I played it when i was a kid, then lost it, then picked it up at a swap meet for 8 bucks. I thought that was a bargain.

However, while I was browsing Ebay, I saw people selling this game for as low as $2! I assumed this game was "one of the good ones", obviously not as popular as some of the first party games, but I didnt expect this game to be that cheap still, especially when the freaking bonus disc for Pokemon Colosseum (no game included) is going upwards of $50 (Gamecube games have been just going up in general it seems.)

Has anyone ever played Soul Calibur 2? Is it just one of those games that no one else liked that I really enjoy, or is it a hidden gem?

And if you haven't tried it, and you enjoy fighting games just a teeny tiny bit, I'd totally recommend it btw. At the very least, it has gorgeous cover art.

StevO9389

Registered
May 30, 2019
I still have my Game Cube copy. It was quickly shelved with the release of Metroid Prime and Wind Waker.

Reactions: Pinta77

iiAlexLiveii

Registered
May 30, 2019
For it's time it was a very good game, worthy of it's price at release date. I still have a physical copy but I prefer to use the Dolphin emulator for higher screen resolutions and progressive scan. And it sold so well it isn't hard to find, it also has a digital release on newer consoles, improved sequels (sort of), that's why it's so cheap right now.

Gameboi64

Resident game "reviewer"
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Gameboi64
AG Join Date
Jan 30, 2015
Has anyone ever played Soul Calibur 2? Is it just one of those games that no one else liked that I really enjoy, or is it a hidden gem?

And if you haven't tried it, and you enjoy fighting games just a teeny tiny bit, I'd totally recommend it btw. At the very least, it has gorgeous cover art.

I think everyone's played SoulCalibur 2. That's the reason why it's worth nearly nothing. So many copies floating around for sale will tend to cause the game to be cheap. Granted, it wasn't as cinematic or polished as SoulCalibur III, (as that game had AC3 encoding in it's SFD streams, (SFD being M2V packaged with ADX audio usually, no special encoding for the video) and Namco had THX on board with the project, don't believe me, just look at the boxart, disc and the opening movies, it's like a movie from 2005 with that logo plastered everywhere) but it still sold well. Games that cost a lot usually don't have many copies for sale or in circulation, so people think that the pice should be rightfully jacked up to insane degrees. See also: a lot of Saturn games and Sonic Gems Collection Japan.
That's not to say that the game is worthless in terms of gameplay, but it is in terms of price, if you get my drift.

InsaneNutter

Donator
Donator
May 31, 2019
digiex.net
AGName
InsaneNutter
AG Join Date
Dec 9, 2010
I'm not really that in to fighting games, however a couple of my friends really loved it on the GameCube so I have played it quite a bit. It's not a bad game to be honest, I remember it been quite popular at the time.

Soul Calibur 2 is also one of the few games that will play at 720p on the original Xbox, that looked fantastic for an Xbox game back then.

x1z36x

Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AGName
Xzx123
AG Join Date
Mar 19, 2013
I imported it back when it was new, got the GC version because of Link. I enjoyed playing it, never really got too deep into advanced gameplay tactics or anything.

Darkhero

Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Darkhero
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
I played the GC version and liked it, but like with most 3D fighters I could never get any good.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I imported it back when it was new, got the GC version because of Link. I enjoyed playing it, never really got too deep into advanced gameplay tactics or anything.
I don't really know the combos by memory or anything. My Gf likes it and we got pretty far into the story mode

Frogger

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
FuckinFrog
AG Join Date
Jun 16, 2017
Soul Calibur 2 is one of the best games of all time. I still play it regularly (or rather whenever I have time. Haven't had the time to properly play a game in almost 8 months time due to constantly having to work overtime :cry: ).

ZeldaFan042

May 30, 2019
I'm not huge into fighting games, but I really enjoyed playing this back in the day, especially because I could play as Link.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Soul Calibur 2 is one of the best games of all time. I still play it regularly (or rather whenever I have time. Haven't had the time to properly play a game in almost 8 months time due to constantly having to work overtime :cry: ).
I usually pull it out when people are over and we're playing games. It's either this or smash

Frogger

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
FuckinFrog
AG Join Date
Jun 16, 2017
I usually pull it out when people are over and we're playing games. It's either this or smash
Same here, my friend. Same here. I made sure to go through pretty much the entire Weapon Master mode to unlock every character and skin in the game so that my friends had plenty of choice. I almost play as either Spawn, Heihachi or Lizardman. Who's your fav? :)

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Same here, my friend. Same here. I made sure to go through pretty much the entire Weapon Master mode to unlock every character and skin in the game so that my friends had plenty of choice. I almost play as either Spawn, Heihachi or Lizardman. Who's your fav? :)

Voldo for sure. My gf hates it when I use him. I also use link a lot and I'll use Charade for fun. I'm actually not sure if I have all the characters yet or not. We've unlocked quite a few

Pazzard

Hi!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
I think I played it... Did it have Spawn as a character on PS2, or was it Darth Vader, or am I thinking about Xbox? by the time that game came out I only owned a gamecube and an Xbox... Boy did I pick it.

Never was a fan of it. To me it plays with all the bad points that earlier 2 games had.

I remember having Link too... Was that a thing or a fever dream?

I'm also a Tekken lad, so take that as you will. I love grab combos, love easy moves and will never ever enjoy a game that has a button to block.

Last edited:

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I think I played it... Did it have Spawn as a character on PS2, or was it Darth Vader, or am I thinking about Xbox? by the time that game came out I only owned a gamecube and an Xbox... Boy did I pick it.

Never was a fan of it. To me it plays with all the bad points that earlier 2 games had.

I remember having Link too... Was that a thing or a fever dream?

I'm also a Tekken lad, so take that as you will. I love grab combos, love easy moves and will never ever enjoy a game that has a button to block.
Spawn is on the xbox version of soul calibur 2, yes. Darth Vader is on Soul Calibur 4 I think. I have that one for Ps3 also, it's pretty fun as well

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Also on a side note, I'm actually really surprised how many people in this community specifically have fond memories of this game. It's awesome

Frogger

Registered
Jun 6, 2019
AGName
FuckinFrog
AG Join Date
Jun 16, 2017
Soul Calibur 2 HD on PS3 / Xbox has both Heihachi Mishima and Spawn but not Link for obvious reasons. Honestly, while its cool to play as Link, his moveset SUCKS! He is so damn weak...

Pazzard

Hi!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Also on a side note, I'm actually really surprised how many people in this community specifically have fond memories of this game. It's awesome
I have fantastic memories of this game, it's all coming back to me now.... I was more into Tekken though... Sorry :censored:

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I have fantastic memories of this game, it's all coming back to me now.... I was more into Tekken though... Sorry :censored:
Lol you're good. Tekken is the one that had the tag team one right? They have a whole bunch of machines set up at an arcade I go to occasionally. They actually have a whole fighting game section but there's like 8 tekken machines

Pazzard

Hi!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Lol you're good. Tekken is the one that had the tag team one right? They have a whole bunch of machines set up at an arcade I go to occasionally. They actually have a whole fighting game section but there's like 8 tekken machines
Yeah there was Tekken Tag. My arcade has a Tekken 2 and an original Tekken tag, so 20 years old at best...

Make a donation