Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Yeah there was Tekken Tag. My arcade has a Tekken 2 and an original Tekken tag, so 20 years old at best...
I just double checked, the one I played is actually tekken tag tournament 2.

They keep this arcade maintained. None of the machines are broken. They only recently took down some sort of online account feature for the tekken tag tournament, and they put up signs to announce it. They also had pamphlets with basic instructions for some of the games. Who ever maintains this place is in top of it. It's really incredible

Pazzard

Hi!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
TTT 2, that was based on the PS3 hardware right? Original TTT was a weird one. It was pretty much PS1 based, but it was one of the launch titles for the PS2... The actual arcade was pretty much same as Tekken 3. The PS2 version was completely next gen compared to the arcade. I may be wrong but that is the only game I have ever seen that had a better port from the arcade.

I love Tekken. I'm not too bad at smash either, but I'm not that great. I'm decent at Streetfighter EX though :D

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
TTT 2, that was based on the PS3 hardware right? Original TTT was a weird one. It was pretty much PS1 based, but it was one of the launch titles for the PS2... The actual arcade was pretty much same as Tekken 3. The PS2 version was completely next gen compared to the arcade. I may be wrong but that is the only game I have ever seen that had a better port from the arcade.

I love Tekken. I'm not too bad at smash either, but I'm not that great. I'm decent at Streetfighter EX though :D
Um.. probably because I have a copy for ps3 also

Blur2040

Jun 7, 2019
AGName
Blur2040
AG Join Date
March 13, 2004
Never had an interest in Soul Calibur 2.

I remember the mega hype before it came out, but I had already played SC1 on DC a ton at that point. SC2 looked mostly the same and I wasn't into playing "let's buy the latest fighting game revision."

I had a GameCube and Xbox then. I remember thinking Link was the best exclusive...but not a good fit. Probably the wrong time for me too. I was in college about that time. College was for playing Halo on the school LAN.

Today, still enjoy SC1, own it on DC and even have the jamma boards for SC1 and Soul Blade too. Still don't have SC2.

Also:
The PS2 version was completely next gen compared to the arcade. I may be wrong but that is the only game I have ever seen that had a better port from the arcade.

SC1 was the same way. Arcade version was on PS1 derived hardware vs the nice DC home version.

Reactions: Pinta77

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Never had an interest in Soul Calibur 2.

I remember the mega hype before it came out, but I had already played SC1 on DC a ton at that point. SC2 looked mostly the same and I wasn't into playing "let's buy the latest fighting game revision."

I had a GameCube and Xbox then. I remember thinking Link was the best exclusive...but not a good fit. Probably the wrong time for me too. I was in college about that time. College was for playing Halo on the school LAN.

Today, still enjoy SC1, own it on DC and even have the jamma boards for SC1 and Soul Blade too. Still don't have SC2.

Also:

SC1 was the same way. Arcade version was on PS1 derived hardware vs the nice DC home version.
I never got it during the hype. I remember seeing pictures of it in the magazines, but I got it way later. Pretty sure the Wii was already out

Pazzard

Hi!
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
I just double checked, the one I played is actually tekken tag tournament 2.

They keep this arcade maintained. None of the machines are broken. They only recently took down some sort of online account feature for the tekken tag tournament, and they put up signs to announce it. They also had pamphlets with basic instructions for some of the games. Who ever maintains this place is in top of it. It's really incredible
That sounds amazing. Did it have a card reader function in the arcade or am I thinking of some other Namco fighter? I sadly never got to play TTT2 at the arcade, I only have the PS3 version.

You're right. I forgot how good the original DC port looked. Remember seeing it in a kiosk in HMV Birmingham before it closed it's doors, and before the PS2 was out and I remember being impressed that a console had graphics rivalling if not better than a Voodoo3 PC setup that at the time was close to 2k with the processor etc.

Didn't SC and TTT originate on the same board? Essentially just a beefed up PS1?

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
That sounds amazing. Did it have a card reader function in the arcade or am I thinking of some other Namco fighter? I sadly never got to play TTT2 at the arcade, I only have the PS3 version.

You're right. I forgot how good the original DC port looked. Remember seeing it in a kiosk in HMV Birmingham before it closed it's doors, and before the PS2 was out and I remember being impressed that a console had graphics rivalling if not better than a Voodoo3 PC setup that at the time was close to 2k with the processor etc.

Didn't SC and TTT originate on the same board? Essentially just a beefed up PS1?
I think so. All though 99% of the time, those games with the card function are out of the cards, even at this nicer arcade.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag are now officially 20 years old.

Both debuted in 1999

Actually the arcade version of Soulcalibur came out in 1998, so it's almost 21. The DC version came out in '99.

People often forget that before Soulcalibur, there was Soul Edge/Soul Blade. Namco had a weird way of naming things. Like with the "Ace Combat" series. They went straight from Air Combat to Ace Combat 2. wtf is with that? Then there was Ridge Racer, Rave Racer, and Rage Racer, which are confusingly somehow all Ridge Racer games.

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
Yes on all three platforms.
Box was the most unsresponsive one. PS2 in the middle and GameCube the quickest.

Great game.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Yes on all three platforms.
Box was the most unsresponsive one. PS2 in the middle and GameCube the quickest.

Great game.
What's the deal with gamecube and quick fighting games? Everyone praises melee for being so fast paced. Is it because the disc is smaller and the laser can read it faster?

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
I think it's the way these three consoles handled input in general.

XBox had USB-protocol controllers plus slow unified ram,
PS2 was as you can expect on spot.
But GameCube is so quick and responsive. Must be that 1-Tram or something. Just look at F-ZeroGX how fast and responsive it is.

Oh and it has nothing to do with the disc at all. "Only" loading times where faster because the laser did not have to travel so much. So accessing many small parts on the mini-DVD was way quicker than the others. Genious console, It' like a Dreamcast2.

It could handle Naomi2 with ease like BeachSpikers from Sega. Naomi2 was released just a year before in the Arcades. GC the most cutting edge console from N I believe.

Edit: Geeze i still don't know haw to qoute...anyway.

@Pazzard

TTT runs on a vastly boosted PS1 Namco System12 PCB like OG SoulCalibur. Even System11, which was the original PS1 arcade HW, was more powerful than PS1. Tekken for example has slighly better ground textures.

Last edited:

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I think it's the way these three consoles handled input in general.

XBox had USB-protocol controllers plus slow unified ram,
PS2 was as you can expect on spot.
But GameCube is so quick and responsive. Must be that 1-Tram or something. Just look at F-ZeroGX how fast and responsive it is.

Oh and it has nothing to do with the disc at all. "Only" loading times where faster because the laser did not have to travel so much. So accessing many small parts on the mini-DVD was way quicker than the others. Genious console, It' like a Dreamcast2.

It could handle Naomi2 with ease like BeachSpikers from Sega. Naomi2 was released just a year before in the Arcades. GC the most cutting edge console from N I believe.

Edit: Geeze i still don't know haw to qoute...anyway.

@Pazzard

TTT runs on a vastly boosted PS1 Namco System12 PCB like OG SoulCalibur. Even System11, which was the original PS1 arcade HW, was more powerful than PS1. Tekken for example has slighly better ground textures.
Thanks for the info dude! I'm genuinely interested in this

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
Namco knew to compete with VirtuaFighter2 they have to make Tekken for their System22 (RidgeRacer, AceDriver etc.) which would have been very expensive for arcade operators so they decided to make it for System11 which was less expensive for operators. This system was licenced to Capcom and Taito aswell very successful. Sony should be very thankful to Namco. I i'm correct System11 was Namco's idea.

Sega had same thing going with the ST-V System, a Saturn JAMMA PCB with (if I'm correct) double the ram or a Saturn with 4MB Ram-Expansion. And Naomi/DC of course.

I'm getting OT me thinks:unsure:

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Sega had same thing going with the ST-V System, a Saturn JAMMA PCB with (if I'm correct) double the ram or a Saturn with 4MB Ram-Expansion. And Naomi/DC of course.

No, the ST-V was basically the same as the Saturn in terms of hardware. The only major differences were its connections and the fact that it uses cartridges instead of CDs.

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
That's what I try to figure out.

Some Sega Dev said Titan has more memory. I don't think he meant the cart roms obviously.
And somewhere like Sega16 or so someone said Titan is a Saturn with 4MB-Cart technically.
On top of that I think some Titan games had less slowdown than the Saturn ports. I think TerraDiver but I'm not shure on this one.

Too bad no shmup with 4MB was released. That would be interesting.

If you have any infos about that, appreciated.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
That's what I try to figure out.

Some Sega Dev said Titan has more memory. I don't think he meant the cart roms obviously.
And somewhere like Sega16 or so someone said Titan is a Saturn with 4MB-Cart technically.

Well, I think those people were mistaken, if that’s what they said. AFAIK the ST-V had 2MB of main system RAM, 1.54MB of VRAM, and 512KB of audio RAM, same as the stock Saturn. This page confirms that: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Titan_Video#Technical_specifications

And here’s another source that says the same thing: https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=711

By the way, I own an ST-V.

Last edited:

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
Oh you own, really nice! Now please check out every Ram chip so we know for sure? Just kidding. System16 is not to be trusted 100%. Like Namco System11 and 12 have the same polygoncount (which is plainly wrong or the higher clock speed lets Tekken3 Poly-BGs happen?...) and many other mistakes, hmmm I don't know. Segaretro is ok but they also have some infos wrong I believe but they are the best resource regarding Sega AC HW.

The problem with sources like this they all copy&paste to some degree. Developer/R&D interviews is where the truth lies.

But again we have a mistake, either translation was wrong or japanese have a problem describing tech stuff correctly. MD has no vertical line scroll "only" 16px wide collumn scroll. I know I'm picky.

Sorry folks if I'm too OT. Mods feel free if...

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Oh you own, really nice! Now please check out every Ram chip so we know for sure? Just kidding. System16 is not to be trusted 100%. Like Namco System11 and 12 have the same polygoncount (which is plainly wrong or the higher clock speed lets Tekken3 Poly-BGs happen?...) and many other mistakes, hmmm I don't know. Segaretro is ok but they also have some infos wrong I believe but they are the best resource regarding Sega AC HW.

Everything I've read about the subject indicates that the ST-V is basically the same as the Saturn. This is different from the Naomi, for example, which has significantly more memory than the Dreamcast. Sega intentionally made the ST-V very close to the Saturn to allow for easy ports between the systems. Some Japanese ST-V to Saturn ports have a logo on the cover that says "ST-V for SegaSaturn". Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn has a mode that's almost identical to the arcade version, and it even says "insert coin" and you have to press a button to insert coins.

I'll look at my ST-V tomorrow maybe, I don't feel like it right now. I could give you more information about the ST-V, but most of this information is easy to find for yourself.

Vindios

Donator
Donator
Jun 7, 2019
Donations
£20.00
AGName
Vindios
AG Join Date
Apr 12, 2019
I happened to play Soul Caliber 2 on the Gamecube retail demo disk, and I loved it so much I rented it four or five times from my local Blockbuster before buying it. I probably didn't know what or how to play fighting games well, but I just enjoyed playing as Link and Maxi.

Make a donation