Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Asian Sega MegaDrive/GameGear/Master System?/MegaCD? Game List

Original poster
Awhile ago people brought up Asian/Taiwan versions of games and I keep forgetting to make a thread on Asian/Taiwan versions that seem very obscure and hard to come by. More so the later versions with teal/blue/red art and the metallic like logo.

The rarest seem to be MasterSystem/MegaCD versions having never seen any pics. (do they exist?) followed by Asian Game Gear Games.

Here's some pics I've collected over the years from various people/sources.

GameGear
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Only "real" version I've ever seen.

ho9kGS2.jpg
Followed by multiple "Sonic & Tails 2" bootlegs the part that confuses me here is the two pics of the boxed copys have a green background vs the blue in the confirmed bootlegs. Is it possible these are actually real? The only issue with that thinking is they still say "game" which is normally used in bootlegs.
LvpVb4k.jpggWHYail.jpghMyGHPG.jpgFEa2Mqg.jpg

Next rarest would be Mega Drive with the teal, I know @dyer60 has a huge collection and believe he now owns some of these.

2EowqUy.jpg
WApaSVd.jpg3TowFMC.jpg
fS3b7Is.jpgYTi1FVz.jpg

And finally the Mega Drive 32X which appears most common.

CBBfV8x.jpg
u0LVd3I.jpgVjxzqTv.jpgaxUuZip.jpggV6UXYg.jpg

Does anybody have any I missed or know of more? does Mega CD versions exist?

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
The biggest problem with this stuff is that the line between "real" and "fake" in HK was always pretty blurred. It was common for importers to do things like get games with foreign language packaging (but the game in English) and simply reprint the labels, boxes and documentation. This was technically a trademark violation, but nobody really cared - especially if the actual product was legit.

This is the main reason I never bothered to try and collect HK stuff despite living here.

Reactions: Solotaire

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Cool thread.

For the Mega Drive they are known in the community as "teal box" release (due to the edge colour of the artwork). As well as Sonic & Knuckles/Ecco Tides of Time/Mega Games 10 there is:

Mega Bomberman

Batman & Robin:

There are of course a load of official Sega Mega Drive Asian releases with different style artwork, most can be found here:

As far as I am aware there are no Master System games with similar artwork and as far as Mega-Cd games there are a few known, however they are essentially PAL artwork games with a sticker, not sure if they are NTSC coded though, for example:

Game Gear is an interesting one, I am only aware of Ecco but as @Trimesh states there are a lot of fakes, who knows, it is part of the reason I love this area of collecting, they are so obscure!

By the way I collect these so if anyone has any drop me a PM.

Last edited:

Solotaire

Registered
May 30, 2019
Im sorry I cant be of any help, but that cover for Dungeon Explorer is amazing.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Game Gear is an interesting one, I am only aware of Ecco but as @Trimesh states there are a lot of fakes, who knows, it is part of the reason I love this area of collecting, they are so obscure!

Yeah, it's certainly an interesting market, and even more so back at the time these games were current. It's lost a lot of it's "wild east" character now, though.

For the old products, you can basically put things into 4 different categories:

1) Officially imported product (行貨)
2) Parallel import product (水貨)
3) Modified products (like the reprinting I was talking about earlier)
4) Entirely fake/bootleg stuff

Telling them apart can be a challenge - generally speaking, things with specific HK packaging are official imports, but they might also be grey imports with the packaging reprinted (I.E. 3 in my list). Products that have some foreign region packaging with stickers on them are mostly parallel imports, although there were some cases where the official distributors did the same thing, especially if the volumes were low. Most of the time, the only way you can be sure is by checking the name of the distributor.

Also note that in HK parallel importers have no need to try and hide since what they were doing is entirely legal - there was a case years ago where one of the watch companies (possibly Rolex?) tried to get an injunction against one of the HK jewelry store chains to prevent them from selling gray market watches - they lost the case on the basis that since Hong Kong is a free port then anyone has the right to import, export, buy or sell any legal product - and that hence in Hong Kong any purported exclusive distribution agreement was without legal force.

This is why sites like price.com.hk typically list two price ranges for things. The top one (行)is the price for officially imported products an d the second one(水)is the parallel import price. It's just one of the things that makes HK such a strange place...

HKprices.jpg

Reactions: dyer60

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
a
Yeah, it's certainly an interesting market, and even more so back at the time these games were current. It's lost a lot of it's "wild east" character now, though.

For the old products, you can basically put things into 4 different categories:

1) Officially imported product (行貨)
2) Parallel import product (水貨)
3) Modified products (like the reprinting I was talking about earlier)
4) Entirely fake/bootleg stuff

Telling them apart can be a challenge - generally speaking, things with specific HK packaging are official imports, but they might also be grey imports with the packaging reprinted (I.E. 3 in my list). Products that have some foreign region packaging with stickers on them are mostly parallel imports, although there were some cases where the official distributors did the same thing, especially if the volumes were low. Most of the time, the only way you can be sure is by checking the name of the distributor.

Also note that in HK parallel importers have no need to try and hide since what they were doing is entirely legal - there was a case years ago where one of the watch companies (possibly Rolex?) tried to get an injunction against one of the HK jewelry store chains to prevent them from selling gray market watches - they lost the case on the basis that since Hong Kong is a free port then anyone has the right to import, export, buy or sell any legal product - and that hence in Hong Kong any purported exclusive distribution agreement was without legal force.

This is why sites like price.com.hk typically list two price ranges for things. The top one (行)is the price for officially imported products an d the second one(水)is the parallel import price. It's just one of the things that makes HK such a strange place...

View attachment 1841

That’s useful information, I heading to HK in August, this will really help me out. Oh and if you know any good retro stores drop me a PM.

Many thanks.

Opa-Opa

Registered
Jun 21, 2019
Wow Dungeon Explorer japanese MCD version with Euro Mega-CD font (?), Im confoosed:oops: Is it in english? Probably... and 4Players, wow!

Sharp

Sep 17, 2019
For the Game Gear Ecco 2 I can confirm it’s real. I found myself one in South Africa on eBay cheap some time ago. Scans from my copy are on RFgeneration and it has distributor sticker. Sadly the original owner wrote on the box.

Sharp

Sep 17, 2019
Just found out there seems to be an Asian version of Tomcat Alley as well. Got one pending, will post extra pics when I received mine.1A3D6C18-F225-476D-A18F-BBDA1E685165.jpeg64F730A0-F6D8-49A8-9D16-329A0DC81F98.jpeg

Sharp

Sep 17, 2019
Nice score! I was aware this existed, be great to get some better pics when it arrives. Was it from a seller in Hong Kong by any chance?

Just received it today,and it was from a Hong Kong seller. It came in a green case with no room for the manual To properly fit. The front part of insert without the sides from the Euro version was included and the Only for use with Asian Pal is a sticker.

Attachments

• 7F1AD08A-5530-4AB2-943F-A986B861F990.jpeg
    7F1AD08A-5530-4AB2-943F-A986B861F990.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DDF2566E-CB13-4E5D-9E35-0819665F41B3.jpeg
    DDF2566E-CB13-4E5D-9E35-0819665F41B3.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 78A540F4-1C8C-498F-98DD-4BFFCF83FBAC.jpeg
    78A540F4-1C8C-498F-98DD-4BFFCF83FBAC.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 0
  • B62F8A86-A570-460E-8792-0A3105EA61F6.jpeg
    B62F8A86-A570-460E-8792-0A3105EA61F6.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 0

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Just received it today,and it was from a Hong Kong seller. It came in a green case with no room for the manual To properly fit. The front part of insert without the sides from the Euro version was included and the Only for use with Asian Pal is a sticker.

Nice, I actually saw this in person whilst I was there passed on it because of the case but a standard Euro PAL front cover and a chubby box should restore it to its previous glory.

I also notice it doesn’t have the age classification rating on the disc the same as the Aussie version.

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Lucky enough to pick up Mega Bomberman from a good friend in Singapore. Collection is growing:

sA0txA5l.jpg

dyer60

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
dyer60
AG Join Date
Jan 13, 2013
Bit of a necro bump on this but wanted to add this official Asian Game Gear game, it is very similar to the red box Genesis release seen in my thread here: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threa...drive-sega-dreamcast-other-random-stuff.1338/

In typical Asian style it includes a mish mash of art style and also features a US cart! There are a few of these known but are a different series to the Ecco II shown earlier in the thread. The box has an open window on the front showing the game title and there is no known manual included with these.

vcwf9dG.jpg

Make a donation