Hawanja

Original poster
Registered
Aug 3, 2019
AGName
Hawanja
AG Join Date
March 14, 2004
Hello folks. I'm looking for streaming solutions for classic consoles (Snes, Dreamcast, Saturn, etc.) I've been using emulation thusfar but I would like to do it from real hardware. All this stuff is gathering dust, it'd be nice to fire it all up again.

I'm looking at something like this: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60-s along with a composite to HMDI converter, but I've never used anything like this before. I suppose my main question is, is there any significant lag between input and what you capture?

Is there a particular brand or device any of you guys could recommend?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
You'd be better off using something like an OSSC and SCART cables rather than a composite to HDMI convertor. Even S-video would be better than composite, and all of the systems you mentioned support S-video. Also, I'm pretty sure there are capture devices that have composite and/or S-video inputs, so there's no need to have 2 separate devices if that's what you have in mind.

For the Dreamcast, I think there are capture devices that support VGA, so if you could find one of those you could connect it to a DC VGA box. Alternately, you could use something like a VGA to HDMI converter along with the Elgato device.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
You'd be better off using something like an OSSC and SCART cables rather than a composite to HDMI convertor. Even S-video would be better than composite, and all of the systems you mentioned support S-video. Also, I'm pretty sure there are capture devices that have composite and/or S-video inputs, so there's no need to have 2 separate devices if that's what you have in mind.

For the Dreamcast, I think there are capture devices that support VGA, so if you could find one of those you could connect it to a DC VGA box. Alternately, you could use something like a VGA to HDMI converter along with the Elgato device.
Yeah, the best choice would be direct Digital-2-HDMI solutions (aka DCDigital or similar), VGA, RGB, Component, S-Video, and as a last choice composite (let's not talk about RF).

Some VGA2HDMI and S-Video2HDMI solutions are pretty good as well.

If I were to do that, I'd get a HDMI capture card and buy an OSSC or adapters to convert S-Video or better quality to HDMI.

DBloke

Registered
Sep 18, 2020
www.thenightsofgaming.com
AGName
DBloke
The way I do it. its cheap
I use an Eligato HD, if has a cable that allowed Svideo/Composite/Component.
I also have a y-splitter cable so I don't have to run the cable to and from the box.
SCART is tricky, I have a little connector that can output compo and SCART at the same time.

Recent streams. Im fiddling wit various settings to get a better quality image, both of these output Composite
Spectrum

Silent hill 2

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I use a Framiester but they're problematic.

Retrotink 2x paired with an MClassic is my pick

Make a donation