Welcome to the Obscure Gamers!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

X360 Beware: Updating Sidecar firmware kills it!

Discussion in 'Development Hardware' started by STiP0, Jul 11, 2017.

1. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs
    Gold Member

Have you ever gotten a message from Game Disc Emulator, asking if you would like to update your Sidecars firmware from such things as "FF.FF to 61" , etc...?

First, DO NOT DO THAT. This should come as no surprise, but this is merely a glitch that GDE assumes your sidecar is "out of date" on terms of firmware version - however it is not! This error seems to be thrown when your sidecar is stuck in "emulation" mode, without the USB plugged in. This mode can get stuck when you hit "emulate" on GDE, and then remove the sidecar USB while still emulating. The sidecar will function normally but will have an extra 1-2 LEDS on the bottom board active. It will continue to act this way until you disconnect power and fully reset the kit (just unplug and it's good)

however... updating your firmware in this case of a glitch, will show an update progress bar, which will quickly fail after 2-3 seconds. (because there's nothing to actually update..) - Your kit will function normally until a full power-down. Next bootup will cause RROD.

I have a track record of TWO dead sidecars now, due to this exact issue. A zephyr and an XNA sidecar..
    Take my word, avoid this update, save a sidecar! I'm glad to finally be able to narrow down this issue to the "update" of GDE itself. Hope this can help you in the future..

#1 STiP0, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Element18592

Gold Member

That poor XNA is going through some hell lol

3. Lehvak

Lehvak Fendi bags up on my back
    Dev Kit Owner

You think MS is doing this to fuck people over like they did years ago with pnet bricks?

4. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs
    Gold Member

Microsoft is watching us...

[​IMG]

Kebob and DeChief like this.
  5. X360

Gold Member

Is it only in a specific SDK Version?

6. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs
    Gold Member

been running .12 SDK since 2015, so it's hard to say for sure.

7. STiP0

STiP0 Dead Rising & XDKs
    Gold Member

Update: A few members here are working on ways of reflashing sidecar firmware! Figuring out as we speak.
    @XeDK @Element18592 @Lehvak

pawncrackers, CodeAsm, sal4 and 4 others like this.
  8. X360

Gold Member

Interesting to see. Would love to see this work out,. I would love to see something that would allow us to read/write to nand lol

9. CodeAsm

Dev Kit Owner

Jtag maybe? hope it would be simpler :D intresting topic and good luck

10. X360

Gold Member

Anyone got an update to this? I got a broken sidecar to mess around with for this exact purpose. CPLD Firmware is still all good and working/detected by the PC. To me it looks like its purpose is to program the FPGA. The two chips that make up this part of the slim sidecar board is shown HERE on an XILINX JTAG Board. It looks as if the sidecar detects it is in an error state, it flips from the Red "Err" Led to the Red "Load" LED on boot. I'm right now trying to see if I can dump the FPGA Firmware over the USB of the console or if I need an external JTAG device from XILINX to connect to the convenient "FPGA JTAG" port. I will update this thread as I look more into this.

11. wan5

wan5 Member

Ive never personally seen a pnet brick, in fact id heard back in the day it was a myth started to deter people leaking from pnet. I used pnet a lot back then, not for leaking, but just cause it was open and never had a brick on multiple kits.

There were malicious recoveries, but they were created by scensters and not by MS.

12. fate6

fate6 Lolita Dress Collector
    Gold Member

I use the DVDEmu the run just about everything on my kit and have had zero problems, only thing I recall was some error showing up a couple of times but I simply clicked ignore and everything kept working as normal.

13. X360

Gold Member

after further investigation, the above mentioned xilinx jtag device (CPLD) that is onboard has software written to PROM which loads on start. This is what is detected by the pc when you plug in a USB and states that it is a "Xbox 360 S Sidecar". In other words, unless I were somehow figure out he way Microsofts XKD software communicates to check the FPGA firmware (unlikely), I will need to purchase an external XILINX JTAG programmer and wire it up to the FPGA JTAG port on the mainboard. I could then dump the fpga and figure out what is causing the device to error on boot. My (hopeful) assumption is that it is just stuck in emulation mode, as stated above, and it is as easy as changing a 1 to a 0. Will update this once my package arrives! Anyone wanting to donate a phat or slim sidecar to the cause or for a small fee would be greatly appreciated.