Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Building a Teensy PS2 Gamepad Interface

djsedaw

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
I'm building a ps2 handheld and one of the biggest problems is wiring up a gamepad, you end up with a lot of spaghetti wiring, does anyone know if it would be possible to use a teensy 2 as a interface to the ps2, you would just wire buttons and joysticks to the teensy which would pass on the correct protocols to the ps2.

I can write the code for the joystick and buttons to the teensy but not the teensy to ps2 code, can anyone help?

Here are a few links I have found that may help:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=135

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9145
Thanks!

zzattack

Jun 13, 2019
AGName
zzattack
AG Join Date
Nov 19, 2014
Yes, it's pretty much a simple SPI protocol. You'll have to monitor the console polling your controller, and respond in a timely fashion.
Teensy should be able to continuously receive data over SPI, you can use the ATT line to figure out when data is being received.
The protocol is not stateless though, so you'll have to guide the console through initialization. Might not be the easiest to get right and I'd definitely recommend having a logic analyzer handy, but otherwise the protocol is reasonably well described in several document that are easily found online.

Make a donation