1. Guest , Please bear with us while we rebuild the site over the coming days.
    A new look for OG has been released.

Can my MacPro be transformed into a gaming mammoth?

Discussion in 'Computer General' started by Wombat, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Wombat

Wombat Gold Member

Thanks to the "What are your computer specs?"-topic, I started wondering can I transform my late 2008 MacPro into a hybrid... the Mac part for work and bootcamp with Windows 10 for gaming.

I have this model, with 10GB memory and 2x 3,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-eight-core-3.2-2008-specs.html

Around the web I have gathered that my computer supports up to 64GB of memory and also I see that for example you can install a GTX 1080 / 1080 TI in this machine.

Are there any PC gamers here that can chime in if it's worth it to upgrade my machine with a new videocard and additional memory to play brand new PC games in 4K 60fps? Or are the internal connections and processors of this computer too old for new games?

Demon likes this.
  2. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

It's rather old but it should be able to run many games. The Xeon's are server CPU's and normally above what a commercial CPU would be spec wise. I can see this running maybe HD but not sure about 4K.

I would see if there's any videos on Youtube where others have thought this but I'm sure it is possible. The only issue I can really see would be the CPU/RAM being an issue but there should be enough.

I gave next door an old AMD Phenom Tri-Core from 2008 awhile back and was shocked to hear it ran some games decently with 512MB of GPU power. :p

3. Borman

Borman Gold Member

Sadly the ram is pretty slow, and the cpu isn't really that great. 1080s can apparently be a bit touchy. I have the same system, with 50 something gigs of ram, since 64 wasnt letting windows boot. I have a 750ti in mine, which can run a lot of things okay, but even with a 1080 I don't see 4k being on the radar.

Taijigamer and Demon like this.
  4. Taijigamer

Taijigamer Member

Unfortunately your bus speeds will limit what u can achieve graphically. Your ram is maxed at 800mhz and your pci-e lanes are 2.0. 1080 @60hz might be possible but not 4K @60hz. Your rig is a beast for 2008, but newer games are very greedy. I wouldn't chuck any more money at that rig, just keep it for legacy gaming, maybe start looking at a newer rig in the future. We are on a technology generation cusp at the moment where the current tech (14nm processor, DDR3/4) is at the end of development, and newer tech (10nm processor, DDR4/next gen RAM?) is going to be very expensive. So maybe wait until beginning of 2018 to see where prices are.

Paulweeze71 likes this.
  5. Wombat

Wombat Gold Member

Thanks for chiming in @Demon, @Borman and @Taijigamer! Based on the above intel it's clear to me I won't be able to turn this 2008 computer into a gaming powerhouse, too bad.