Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Cleaning solution for PS3 (original) casing?

oldmanhouse

Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
AGName
oldmanhouse
AG Join Date
May 15 2011
Hey guys, my original phat PS3 has got some furniture polish on it at some point which has dried on, leaving white marks stuck on there. I've tried chipping it off with my nail, but it's stuck on there pretty good. I've tried acetone based 'nail polish remover', which has thinned out the marks a bit but left behind white watermarks.

As the plastic casing has a glossy/mirror effect, it's making it particularly hard to clean without leaving a trace. Anyone got any cleaning tips?

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
No idea what that polish might consist of, so I'll just drop some mostly-generic advice:
I usually try simple soapy water first (I'll assume you tried that already?), then if that didn't work go for IPA. Heat (from a hair dryer) or "Goo Gone" (or your local equivalent) are good for any kind of stickers, or rather their glues. Careful, some chemicals like Goo Gone and, as you noticed, acetone, might mark the surface of plastics. Haven't had that issue with IPA. Occasional bits of "haze" but they wipe right off.
There's a trick for removing marker text: Write over it so the fresh solvent works on the old ink, then wipe off. Maybe you can find out what solvent was in (or at least works with) your polish and try something similar?
If all else fails, melamine foam ("Magic Eraser") will remove pretty much anything, but it works like fine sandpaper so it's shit for piano finishes.

Awbacon

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
May 31, 2019
Isopropyl alcohol and patience. It may take multiple attempts, but over time it should work to remove the marks without altering the original finish.

It's a patience game with things like this. May take multiple attempts but eventually it will remove the marks

oldmanhouse

Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
AGName
oldmanhouse
AG Join Date
May 15 2011
thanks, a little baking soda and white vinegar is helping on the glossy finish without leaving too many marks behind. There's some on the on/off/eject touch controls too, which seems to have a plastic finish on top. Will persist with further attempts once it's dried off!

isopropyl doesn't have much effect, presumably as the polish has some kind of wax or other water resistant compound

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
If it's really just a kind of wax, some heat and lots of wiping should do. ...it might even put an extra shine on the surface :p

Oh and since we sometimes forget the most obvious things (I know I do!), here's another one. If you can still find the bottle, get some throwaway piece of plastic and got nuts experimenting. Even better, you now have a label with some ingredients to read.

Reactions: Anthony817

Make a donation