Dreamcast Clock Oscillator Failure?

KG_LL

Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
KG_LL
AG Join Date
Hello,

I'm currently repairing my friend's Dreamcast that isn't producing a VGA output and have run into a little bit of a snag.
This is what I've done so far with the repair:
  • Tested VGA box with my personal Dreamcast, confirmed the VGA box is working
  • Replaced capacitors on both the VA1 and PSU boards
After the cap replacement and doing some testing I found that X301 is making a high pitched sound when current is being run to it, I haven't yet poked at it with my oscilloscope to test its output but schematics show it with a rating of 32.768 Khz (if I'm reading it right)
It starts making the high pitch noise even with just the current from the coin cell battery alone as well!

Capture.png

I'm thinking X301 is my issue since its creating literal noise when powered in circuit, anyone have ideas as to how I should replace this without scaving from a donor board?
I was thinking maybe using this as a fix: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...-C8-20PPM-TA-QA?qs=lYGu3FyN48c81ROKNA%2BWHQ==

Honestly think I might have to caulk this one up to a unrepairable board and tell my bud to deal with the s-video output until he gets a replacement Dreamcast but thought I'd try before declaring this patient dead

Make a donation