Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

DCHDMI Widescreen games Support

Yenaphe

Original poster
Aug 14, 2019
Hi guys,

I've just got everything properly setuped with a DCHDMI unit, and the picture quality is superb. But one thing I seem to cannot find online is how I can get the few widescreen games works with it.

I have PAL MSR and F355 that are natively supporting widescreen, and it is working properly on a non modded DC, but when I try to active the option on my DCHDMI modded DC, the option is greyed out in F355, and the option does nothing in MSR. The games play well in 4/3 aspect ratio though.

I'm kinda fairly new to the DC modding scene, so maybe I didn't search correctly, but I can't find any info about this.

Do any of you faced the same issue?

PopetherevXXVIII

Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I made a thread for this

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
The problems you are encountering are not related to the mod, but to limitations of the game(s). For some reason with the few games that do support 16:9 by default some developers deemed it necessary to disable this screen mode when using VGA. If you boot up the games by making the DCHDMI tell the system it's RGB you will get the 16:9 mode back in F355 for example. But of course the quality will be lower in this case.

Luckily there are workarounds for this and even for the games that don't have a 16:9 mode at all. Some cleaver souls have made various HEX-edits and Codebreaker-codes to enable 16:9 in a lot of games. And also for MSR and F355 there are codes out: https://www.assembler-games.com/threads/dreamcast-widescreen-hacks.58620/ (@Damien can you check this link, for some reason it refuses to load)

(@PopetherevXXVIII, I think this thread warrant's its own space seeing this is related to software and yours to hardware)

Luckily there are workarounds for this and even for the games that don't have a 16:9 mode at all. Some cleaver souls have made various HEX-edits and Codebreaker-codes to enable 16:9 in a lot of games. And also for MSR and F355 there are codes out: https://www.assembler-games.com/threads/dreamcast-widescreen-hacks.58620/ (@Damien can you check this link, for some reason it refuses to load)

Well that was a mess, thanks to Kevin's "hot threads" forum our importer assumed stickies were threads so it made two threads for the same posts which has corrupted some information. Thankfully an easy fix, this thread will load now.

Thank you for spotting and tagging me Wombat!

Reactions: Wombat

Yenaphe

Original poster
Aug 14, 2019
Thanks a lot @Wombat
I get why the developers would limit it to non VGA modes, since widescreen was basically just a flag for TVs to interpret aspect ratio, while still outputting 4/3 image, albeit anamorphosed. I don't think VGA was supporting it (they would have been forced to output the game at a true 16/9 square pixel image).

Gonna dig those Hex codes :)

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
If I recall correctly there are some games that do support 16:9 trough VGA without modding. But as you said, the output is always 4:3 with Dreamcast games anyway. So I think it's just an oversight on the developers side.

Make a donation