Here are some links you may find helpful

earthshaker

Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
retroshaker.com
AGName
earthshaker
Hi, guys!
I friend of mine just gave me a mint looking PC Engine Duo RX that doesnt wanna turn on..
It has been RGB modded around 15 years ago and he said me it was working fine until a few years ago..
The PCB is like new, but the console is completely dead when I try to turn it on. Even the led stays off.
I just can just hear some slight "noise" if I get my ear close to the mainboard. Caps seem ok, no leaks.
I checked the Voltage regulators with a multimeter, but boths work fine.
Do you have any idea? do you recommend me to replace all the caps anyway?
Here is a picture

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 2019-11-16 11.04.04.jpg
    2019-11-16 11.04.04.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

jllorens

May 31, 2019
AGName
jllorens
AG Join Date
04/10/2015
Hi. Not sure if this helps but is worth to mention that the led only signals CD access, not power on/off. Press the run button after turning it on.

Ergot

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
Could be the RGB mod. Maybe a wire has become disconnected? Also the RGBS signals should be amplified.

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
I would try removing the RGB mod and seeing if it powers on, or checking continuity between all of the wires to make sure nothing's shorted. Also make sure all the crystals are okay, weird clock cycles could cause it to fail powering on.

Ergot

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
Ergot_Cholera
AG Join Date
Aug 2, 2012
Yess. Remove the RGBS mod and reconnect the composite video signal to see if it works that way.

sabre470

Jun 4, 2019
AGName
sabre470
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
The board looks mint, no visual signs of leaky/faulty caps apart from the one next to the switch that looks slightly back on top but it could be a shadow. That RGB mod worries me though, I don't see any insulation on the cables soldered to the RGB connector. I blew a fuse recently on a Coregrafx doing an RGB mod learned my lesson and added insulation on each cable. Apparently there is no fuse on the RX, I'd also suggest removing the RGB mod and re-instate composite. Without an RGB amp, the picture won't look great anyway.

earthshaker

Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
retroshaker.com
AGName
earthshaker
Thanks guys for your help! I will follow your advices. Sorry for the late reply >.<
However even if the mod is faulty, shouldn't the cd spin? When I connect to my tv I can just se a white flash image and then black..

Make a donation