Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Death of my OG Xbox...

24Nathan

Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
AGName
24Nathan
So my OG Xbox has bitten the dust and no longer powers on. I have been wanting to invest in a modded Xbox for a while, but couldn't justify it until now. I am not a tech wizard, so I cannot and do not want to attempt anything myself, so I will be paying someone to do the work on my current console or just buying one that is for sale. Here is what I want in a modded Xbox:

Region free capability.
Hard drive upgrade
Working disc drive

I also would like the ability to be able to add ROMs of my existing games (of course), and be able to play things like the Rent A Hero prototype, such as the GDEmu, etc. I did some research but can't find enough to make me feel comfortable spending money. Is there a way to have all of these options in a modded console? Where do I go to purchase one or send mine in to get a makeover? Is there anything else that I should get added to my list while I am in the market? Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

Last edited:

Risk

Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Risk
AG Join Date
Nov 9, 2018
Hi,

Yeah, i think its the wrong place.

Anyways, What happened to your OG xbox? I do repairs and in the USA(and sell modded ones).

1 - A modded xbox, either softmodded or hardmodded/tsop already load a region free bios.
2 - They are sata hard drive upgradeable with a ide to sata adapter and a 80 wire cable.
3 - Working dvd drives are slim. They are all failing at this point in time and nobody has tried to make an adapter to force sata drives to be compatible with it. All DVD drives today have a bit of a delay with loading discs due to age and wear and tear.

You can have a normal dashboard to launch your games and/or emulators. With emulators, you can FTP your roms to the */roms/ folder to update the list, launch the emulator and have it rescan for the updated romset.

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
It's not hard to get a SATA DVD drive working on a Xbox - you just need to find the tray status signal in the drive and wire them to the correct pins of the 12-pin drive connector and use one of the same PATA->SATA adapters that works on the HDD.

The biggest issue is the inability to use original discs - the drives supplied with the Xbox implemented special security commands that were used for copy protection, and obviously a stock SATA DVD doesn't support them.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Some of the DVD drive manufacturers were better than others. I think the Samsungs were good. Unfortunately the power issues are often due to broken traces on the MB, which were common on the V1.0-1.4 consoles. The V1.6 console is more reliable but uses a different onboard video chip which doesn't work well with SEGA games.

Softmodding is rather easy, and you can do it with one of those USB adapters for the XBOX Controller port, and one of those games that has the backdoor. There's plenty of YouTube guides on it now.

24Nathan

Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
AGName
24Nathan
Hi,

Yeah, i think its the wrong place.

Anyways, What happened to your OG xbox? I do repairs and in the USA(and sell modded ones).

Whoops! It was a stock console, and now it just won't power on. It's not the outlet nor the cable.

1 - A modded xbox, either softmodded or hardmodded/tsop already load a region free bios.
2 - They are sata hard drive upgradeable with a ide to sata adapter and a 80 wire cable.
3 - Working dvd drives are slim. They are all failing at this point in time and nobody has tried to make an adapter to force sata drives to be compatible with it. All DVD drives today have a bit of a delay with loading discs due to age and wear and tear.

You can have a normal dashboard to launch your games and/or emulators. With emulators, you can FTP your roms to the */roms/ folder to update the list, launch the emulator and have it rescan for the updated romset.

A lot of that is above my head...I want to be able to load games region free like I do on my off brand Dreamcast GDEMU, and would like to be able to continue using the stock drive if possible, even if it will fail inevitably.

Trimesh said:
It's not hard to get a SATA DVD drive working on a Xbox - you just need to find the tray status signal in the drive and wire them to the correct pins of the 12-pin drive connector and use one of the same PATA->SATA adapters that works on the HDD.

Way above my head.

Greg2600 said:
Softmodding is rather easy, and you can do it with one of those USB adapters for the XBOX Controller port, and one of those games that has the backdoor. There's plenty of YouTube guides on it now.

I saw a guide on that recently, and that might be doable.

Risk

Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Risk
AG Join Date
Nov 9, 2018
1- All modded xbox's are region free. They play all regions. You do not need to make or fiddle with anything.

2- This video shows how to upgrade the internal hard drive.

3- I have modded retails with HDD upgrades. If you are interested in one, I can offer one. Just send a DM and we can work it out.

Make a donation