Moondog

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Moondog
AG Join Date
Nov 21, 2010
As some people may be aware, I am a huge fan of Ian Livingstone's Deathtrap Dungeon. It was released for the PC and PS1 in 1998 by Eidos, but not before going through a long (one might say tortured) development cycle since the days of the company still being known as Domark in 1995. To this point, I have spent countless hours searching for prototoypes from this period up to about March 1998. In recent times, I did manage to discover one PlayStation build thanks to a helpful contact, but anything related to the PC version has sadly been met with dead ends. Initially meant to be out in late 1996, it would be about 3 years of development hell before seeing release.

This video shows some areas completely unseen in the game, as well as texture differences. I would kill to have this version of the game!
It was shown at E3 and ECTS 1997 and an early engine demonstration was seen at ECTS96.

Any and all information regarding pre-release builds would be appreciated! Below are some images showing graphics/ areas not seen in the retail, but there are many more scattered throughout magazines, etc.

x-fem3head.jpg
1997 - Different armour texture for female character and a different floor texture in the Hydra arena

D2.png
1998 April - An area that might be at the start of the game not found in retail.

D4.png
1998 April - Another area not found in the retail.

DTRAP1.png
1996 - Enemy not used in the final game - Early previews described 'mummies' as one of the enemies, so I guess this was it.

Reactions: Nex

Nex

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
I unfortunatley have no leads on this stuff but I wish you good luck on your search, fingers crossed you will find something eventually.

Moondog

Original poster
Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Moondog
AG Join Date
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks Nex, That's just the way it goes. Hit and miss really, hah. :)
A few more shots from the 1996 alpha.
DEATHD09.png

DEATHD15.png

DEATHT01.png

Reactions: bunkertheme and Nex

Make a donation