Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Debug Unit Data Recovery

Sko

Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am new here so first wanted to say hello. I have gotten access to two PS3 dev kits (a TOOL and a TEST unit). Before I do anything with them I would like like to clone the drives to protect any data that might be "deleted" on them. Is there any software tool that you would recommend for cloning PS3 drives or any hard drive cloning tool should work?
Has anyone done any work around data recovery on PS3 dev systems?

Thanks!

Skye1337

Registered
Mar 20, 2020

Tdijital

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 18, 2019
Donations
£11.00
AGName
Tdijital
AG Join Date
Apr 3, 2016
That's exciting! There's a group of us working on ps3 data recovery, there's a lot that can be recovered on these drives. A lot of it is manual right now, but some tools are being worked on.

Dumping an image of the drive is fairly easy and the link Skye1337 posted should describe the process well. After that you will need to decrypt it, Damien covers that in the pinned topic:

PS3 HDD Decryption Tool (EXCLUSIVE TO OG!) | Obscure Gamers

Share the decrypted images if you can or message on Discord, recovery is a bit complicated right now. R-studio is your best bet for out of the box recovery, but it's not perfect. If you share we can dig into it deeper.

Sko

Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks! I got the clone done of the drive on the "tool" unit using DD but using the PS3 HDD decryption tool I can't seem to actually decrypt it. I get an error every time I attempt to open the .img file Input file dump.img is not found. The clone using DD is called dump.img and it is a .img file. Any idea why I can't seem to get the software to fine/open the file? my command should be correct based on the input requirements of the command line "hdd_decrpyt.exe dump.img eid_root_key decrypted.img

Yah I figured that alot of the process is still pretty manual. I do have a copy of Rstudio paid version as I have used it before for data recovery so once I get this decrypted I am happy to throw it at Rstudio and see what we can find, and if there is anything useful of course archive it all :)

Thanks for any help!

mementomori

proto person
A9L Staff
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 20, 2019
Donations
£7.46
AG Join Date
Jan 22, 2017
Thanks! I got the clone done of the drive on the "tool" unit using DD but using the PS3 HDD decryption tool I can't seem to actually decrypt it. I get an error every time I attempt to open the .img file Input file dump.img is not found. The clone using DD is called dump.img and it is a .img file. Any idea why I can't seem to get the software to fine/open the file? my command should be correct based on the input requirements of the command line "hdd_decrpyt.exe dump.img eid_root_key decrypted.img

Yah I figured that alot of the process is still pretty manual. I do have a copy of Rstudio paid version as I have used it before for data recovery so once I get this decrypted I am happy to throw it at Rstudio and see what we can find, and if there is anything useful of course archive it all :)

Thanks for any help!
Did you dump the eid_root_key? You need that to decrypt the image, otherwise it won't work.

Make a donation