haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Was wondering which one is the best for development. PS3 systems are notable for having lost features with newer models... So is it the case with dev too ?

Skye1337

Registered
Mar 20, 2020
DECR-1000 Has 1 HDD for the Blu-Ray Drive emulator, 8 GPI Switch buttons which are used to enable some debug feature in some debug games (uncharted 2, killzone 2 etc.. ) , 6 usb ports, 3 buttons on the front that are used to reset the network, reset the CP Firmware, reset the ps3 in system software mode, very good cooling system the syscon keep the CPU/RSX under 50 C° so modding the fan speed with Webman is not needed. It also has a few downside, the fans make more noise than a DECR-1400, it is a lot bigger and heavy (around 25 kg) , it need an external antenna for the wifi (or a custom made one) , and it is a bit more complicated to configure (and use) than a DECR-1400.

If you are interested to take a close look here is my video:

Reactions: WorldGenesis

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Thank you for your answer. I will watch your video.
But do you personally think that this model is better than DECR-1400 ?

Last edited:

Skye1337

Registered
Mar 20, 2020
For me the DECR-1000 is better, but the DECR1400 will work just fine, if you will buy one remember to change the thermal paste and do a good dust cleaning to don't risk to overheat a rare hardware like that

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
The DECR-1000 is better, for several reasons. The default hard drive is larger, separate hdd for bd emulator.
The main downside is that you need an external antenna not just for WiFi but for controllers as well unless you want to be tied down literally. Replacement parts are more available too.

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
For me the DECR-1000 is better, but the DECR1400 will work just fine, if you will buy one remember to change the thermal paste and do a good dust cleaning to don't risk to overheat a rare hardware like that

I will. Thank you. For the thermal paste, you mean for DECR1400 or DCR1000 ?

The DECR-1000 is better, for several reasons. The default hard drive is larger, separate hdd for bd emulator.
The main downside is that you need an external antenna not just for WiFi but for controllers as well unless you want to be tied down literally. Replacement parts are more available too.

I will follow your advice guys.
Any good tutorial for the thermal paste or antenna or anything to clean? I´m crappy at fixing hardware stuff like that.

FromAllAspects

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
FromAllAspects
AG Join Date
December 7th, 2017
I will. Thank you. For the thermal paste, you mean for DECR1400 or DCR1000 ?

I will follow your advice guys.
Any good tutorial for the thermal paste or antenna or anything to clean? I´m crappy at fixing hardware stuff like that.
I thought I would provide some insight into this matter, since I own a DECR-1000A, myself. The DECR-1000A didn't have thermal paste applied from the factory. Instead, it was applied with what's called, thermolytic thermal pads. Apparently, they do a far better job than what thermal paste will ever do.

As for videos, there aren't many that go in depth. They will normally have a time lapse video of a service being performed, but apart from that, you're out of luck, unfortunately. (Maybe if there's someone that can provide a service manual for them, that will help, but I can't think of anything else)

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
I thought I would provide some insight into this matter, since I own a DECR-1000A, myself. The DECR-1000A didn't have thermal paste applied from the factory. Instead, it was applied with what's called, thermolytic thermal pads. Apparently, they do a far better job than what thermal paste will ever do.

As for videos, there aren't many that go in depth. They will normally have a time lapse video of a service being performed, but apart from that, you're out of luck, unfortunately. (Maybe if there's someone that can provide a service manual for them, that will help, but I can't think of anything else)

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Thank you. So you think that i should not / don´t need to apply new thermal paste to a DECR-1000A right ? I guess the advice was for the DECR-1400A which is a FAT PS3 and like any FAT PS3, it does require to get a new thermal paste if i want to keep it functional for a very long time, right?

FromAllAspects

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
FromAllAspects
AG Join Date
December 7th, 2017
Thank you. So you think that i should not / don´t need to apply new thermal paste to a DECR-1000A right ? I guess the advice was for the DECR-1400A which is a FAT PS3 and like any FAT PS3, it does require to get a new thermal paste if i want to keep it functional for a very long time, right?
Personally, it's like with every console, do the usual maintenance of clearing out dust every once in a while (and if required, replace the tantalum capacitors with new ones) and if required, either replace the thermolytic thermal pads with new ones or replace the entire setup and use thermal paste (If you go down this route, make sure you use the high end stuff) and your console will look after you.

The DECR-1400A used the exact same case featured on the 20GB PlayStation 3's, so to answer your question, it is exactly like any type of Fat PlayStation 3 out there, however it uses a motherboard (like the DECR-1000A) that isn't featured on any retail PlayStation 3 models, so please be aware of this.

I'll give you some advice for futureproofing your (this doesn't only apply to these, but to any type of console) development PlayStation 3.

One. Make sure every two to three years, replace the thermal paste. You definitely do not want a rare piece of hardware dying on you.

Two. Replace the capacitors with new tantalum ones. This is part of the reason why there are so many PlayStation 3's that have died from a technical YLOD.

Three. This one is important for ventilation and cooling. Make sure you keep it as far away from a wall or media cabinet (whilst in use) as much as possible. The last thing you want is a faulty RSX that will result in freezing, graphical artifacting and in some rare instances, throw random error codes. (I had a PlayStation 3 that had an extremely violent death from this and many more things)

Four. Most importantly, have fun with it! They're not there to gather dust.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
Personally, it's like with every console, do the usual maintenance of clearing out dust every once in a while (and if required, replace the tantalum capacitors with new ones) and if required, either replace the thermolytic thermal pads with new ones or replace the entire setup and use thermal paste (If you go down this route, make sure you use the high end stuff) and your console will look after you.

The DECR-1400A used the exact same case featured on the 20GB PlayStation 3's, so to answer your question, it is exactly like any type of Fat PlayStation 3 out there, however it uses a motherboard (like the DECR-1000A) that isn't featured on any retail PlayStation 3 models, so please be aware of this.

I'll give you some advice for futureproofing your (this doesn't only apply to these, but to any type of console) development PlayStation 3.

One. Make sure every two to three years, replace the thermal paste. You definitely do not want a rare piece of hardware dying on you.

Two. Replace the capacitors with new tantalum ones. This is part of the reason why there are so many PlayStation 3's that have died from a technical YLOD.

Three. This one is important for ventilation and cooling. Make sure you keep it as far away from a wall or media cabinet (whilst in use) as much as possible. The last thing you want is a faulty RSX that will result in freezing, graphical artifacting and in some rare instances, throw random error codes. (I had a PlayStation 3 that had an extremely violent death from this and many more things)

Four. Most importantly, have fun with it! They're not there to gather dust.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Thank you very much for your precious pieces of advice. My only problem here is that i have never modified any piece of hardware or even unscrew and apply a thermal paste and i´m so scared to fuck up... I know it sounds like a noob comment but i do make experts modify my consoles and i have never installed any modchip or hardware mod by myself (scared also). Perhaps, i should practice on cheap stuff and get my hands on more expensive items once I become familiar and not scared anymore with modifications.

Jumpingmanjim

Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Nick
AG Join Date
Jan 12, 2010
While i'm here, what was the difference between the tool and test PS3s?

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
A Test unit is basically a retail like console with the ability to play non retail discs, a Tool has a communications processor and other extra hardware, allowing actual debugging to be done.

Reactions: FromAllAspects

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
While i'm here, what was the difference between the tool and test PS3s?

You can jailbreak your retail PS3 to have a development firmware DEX however the BD drive will still never be able to read unsigned code. TEST ones can. So you need to transfer unsigned code via the PC then you can launch any code signed or not.

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
How do you recognize these models with graphene ?
You would have to open it, the cell and rsx will have a sheet of a pencil lead like material instead of thermal compound. I always thought they were all that way though

haliway

Original poster
Registered
Apr 5, 2020
AGName
haliway
AG Join Date
01/01/2001
It seems like the latest ones with Graphene have the motherboard TMU-520 1-871-645-13

Make a donation