Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast [DEV] : MOD Dreamcast REV0 (Va0) with GDEMU

L10N37

Registered
Jun 1, 2020
@ L10N37
1) check the resistance of the resistor assemblies with a multimeter, perhaps you were sold 1000 ohms or 10000 ohms with incorrect marking
2) solder all contacts of the CN503 connector
As you can see from other users photos these are marked '1000', perhaps the last denotes the letter 'o' for ohms?
I've confirmed with a multimeter EXACTLY 100ohms :) They are 1% tolerance

I am tempted to do another board when i get time, I'm sitting on a stack of VA0 systems that all work but have a bad GD-Drive

L10N37

Registered
Jun 1, 2020
+ a new batch of GDEmu on the way, just in case.

Also I understand everyone will have a different opinion on the mod, I see it as a safe fix... with voltage being 'electrical pressure', the resistor is slowing that down and reducing current. We can make an LED work with a higher voltage using a resistor, and it dims it.. thats safe? So by comparison.

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
It's work for how many time before burn your GDEMU 3.3V on 5V logic level on your VA0 ?
the first converted copy has been working for almost a year

The GDEMU on VAO don't burn immediatly, it's work sometime with no modification, but it will dead after some time...
I read the same arguments from users of game consoles on cartridges while they made their assumptions everyone else played without any problems :)

The resistor array reducing current, but 5V is 5V.
:D
what is the voltage at point "0"?
Снимок экрана от 2021-11-11 12-10-56.png
Is not good to compare this method with Evcerdrive MD2 (with cpld MAX2) with resistor array, because GDEMU has not the same architecture.
it is difficult to convince a person who does not understand how it works

Reactions: Americandad

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
this behavior is typical for:
1) bad contact of SD card
2) poor contact of the CN503 connector
3) poor contact of the power supply
OR cyclone 2 dead on GDEMU by 5V on bus.

I have already fixed that (sorry, french forum):
https://darius-saturn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=341&t=11978&p=274562

file.php
[/URL]

Last edited:

Xrider

Original poster
Registered
Apr 19, 2020
AGName
Xrider
AG Join Date
19/05/2020
Avez-vous déjà lu la description du problème?
si le problème était dans le cyclone mort 2, alors la console démarrerait sans problème avec GDROM
Sorry I never tried installing GDROM 5V on the motherboard with mod 100 ohm resistors installed on it.
I just have a VA0 with BIOS + Flash memory swapped to 3.3V logic level

L10N37

Registered
Jun 1, 2020
I'm getting a blank screen for quite a few seconds, then it just sits at the white dreamcast logo for several minutes. No swirl animation. Then finally this

KMDst65.jpg

That's one GDEmu, the other one doesn't want to boot at all, nothing happens.
Hence, I think I got double unlucky, especially considering the fix for the red light was reflowing the IC legs and memory card legs etc.

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
I'm getting a blank screen for quite a few seconds, then it just sits at the white dreamcast logo for several minutes. No swirl animation. Then finally this
does the same thing happen with the installed GDROM?

L10N37

Registered
Jun 1, 2020
New GD-Emu's not working either, I'll try another soon.
confirmed a faulty GD Emu in 2 different Dreamcasts (VA1 and modded VA0)

simply moved on for now, I'll probably remove that mod and clean the pads up and start from scratch on that board eventually but everything looks good under the scope. confirmed working fine on VA0 #2 :)

alukar3

Apr 12, 2021
View attachment 9881View attachment 9882View attachment 9883View attachment 9884

is china Everdrive MD
if you do not understand why I posted them here, then I will explain
FPGA and flash in these cartridges are rated for 3.3V, and the bus for MegaDrive is 5V
Now look at how the levels are matched, the entire bus is connected through 100 Ohm resistors, which limit the current and prevent the FPGA from burning

GDROM is also connected through resistors, but from a nominal of 33 Ohm, it is enough to replace the resistor assemblies by 100 Ohm and you can not be afraid that GDEMU will burn out, while maintaining compatibility with all GDROM boards
That is, gdrom at 5v after replacing the resistors will also work?

Make a donation