Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Disadvantages of playing NTSC games on PAL modded console CD/DVD based using upscalers

helakustorm

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
helakustorm
AG Join Date
Oct 16, 2016
Hello,

I want to know what are the disadvantages when you are playing on a LCD TV using RetroTINK-2X, OSSC or Framemeister?
I know that CRTs in general accept any video signal from a PAL modded console when you are playing NTSC games.
From what I've read, those upscalers are very picky with the video signal when you are playing on a LCD TV.
Do you recommend to use a PAL console with PAL games and a NTSC console with NTSC games with those upscalers to have a perfect video signal or it's fine to use a modded console with other region games?
I'm interested only in Sony PlayStation 1, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo Wii. (I have all of them and they are hard modded or soft modded)
If it's possible, I want a technical answer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
It depends on the scan rate that the system outputs and the scan rate that the scaler accepts. As long as the system is outputting RGB at NTSC resolution at 60Hz, I think it should be fine. If you want to know if a particular system will work with a particular scaler, you should just look up the specs of each device - this information isn’t hard to find.

One other thing to consider is that not all region mods work in the same way, so you should check to see what kind of video the modded system outputs.

Windjammer

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Windjammer
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2009
I've found the biggest problem isn't the region console or the region of the game but more whether your TV/monitor handles 'non standard' line doubled resolutions over HDMI. Anecdotally, I heard that 4k screens have higher compatibility than HD screens as the higher resolutions match closer with the line doubled output.

I have a 4K LG screen that seems to accept pretty much anything the OSSC can throw at it but an older HD Panasonic screen that won't do line doubled PAL over HDMI but will do NTSC. (Most of my consoles are PAL btw)

Any way you can borrow a scaler/line doubler to try against your setup before you buy?

Make a donation