Welcome to the Obscure Gamers!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Guest , A new look for OG has been released with both dark and light styles, to change please check out the left hand side of the footer to change.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer Android or iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS/Android Device Discussion' started by Demon, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. iOS

11.1%
  2. Android

88.9%
  3. My phones a brick and runs older software.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Demon

Out of bordem and waking up at 4am I thought I'd make a post on what type of phone OS you use. Based on Android/iOS I've left out other types of phone as my main points are based on these two OS's.

I use both an iPhone 6S & a Nokia 6 however have used other devices.

iPhone
    1. Hardware lacks behind 2/3 years on average.
    2. Hardware feels better/more sturdy.
    3. Battery life for me is better then Android* (*Up till iOS 11.0 at which is went to crap.)
    4. Security updates are normally applied for 2/3 generations behind.
    5. The OS is lacking and for me I find it frustratingly "too simple".
    6. App selection is limited in some cases.
    7. Games seem to open faster.
    Android

1. Hardware is current / cheaper.
    2. Hardware sometimes feels flimsy/cheap.
    3. Battery life felt worse then iOS until Android 7.0.
    4. Security updates are a real issue, one of my reasons for using iOS was promised updates. Out of every Android phone I've owned 3 have never had promised security updates putting my data at risk.
    5. The OS is amazing, you can do so much more, you can customize it if needs be, chose the apps you want, disable what you want and can even root the phone if needs be.
    6. App section is better and has more options/features.
    I really loved iOS ever since I started using it with an iPhone 4 back in 2013, but since then it's just got worse and worse. I've had an iPhone 4, 5, 5s, 6s and up till iOS 11 it was amazing but now the battery dies in half the time. This drove me to try Android again, I used Android from 2011 till 2013, I found each phone I got minus the HTC Wildfire S never got promised updates. I had a Sony Xperia Arc S loved this phone, until it was updated to ICS. After this is lagged to hell and was a buggy mess. Sony promised updates which never happened and so I ended up rooting it and sticking a more stable build on it and gave it away.

I then got an Xperia SP believing Sony's lies that this phone would be updated, again no such luck so I gave up and got the iPhone 4. I did have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 which was promised an update to Android 5.0 but 2 years later it's still not got it.

So I really hope Nokia keeps it's promises, they've been good so far with security updates and the Nokia 8 has been updated to Oreo. So far my battery life seem's better then iOS 11 on my iPhone 6s so I guess time will tell?

Why do you use Android/iOS? what is the reason and why?

Phenom likes this.
  2. Phenom

Phenom Member

I've been using Android phones since 2013, and I am certainly not going to trade it for an iPhone. There are many apps without replacements, such as Droidsound-E, GNURoot, Xash3D and Vector Pinball.

Demon likes this.
  3. speedyink

Dev Kit Owner

iOS felt super basic and limited to me in 2008. 9 Years later my major complaint is still the ridiculously bare and rigid launcher. I had a Windows CE PDA in the early 2000's, which had a desktop basically like Windows. To go from something like that to iOS felt like going from Windows Pro to Windows Starter edition

Edit: Didn't even mention the extreme locked down nature of it all. If you're going to be selling me on essentially a pocket computer I damn well be able to play with the files as I please. You mean I can't just drag and drop a video file in a specific folder and instead must use special transfer programs that just dump it into pandoras box..yeah you know where to shove that OS. Have you ever tried to browse the file structure of an iOS device? It's a freakin mess of gibberish..

#3 speedyink, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Paulweeze71 likes this.