accel99

Original poster
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Accel99
AG Join Date
March 28 2008
For some reason while I was playing Sega marine fishing it just turned off and didn't want to turn back on. A couple of hours later it does turn back on but boots to black screen with the lid closed. No spinning disc. If I leave the lid open it does boot.
Is this a gd rom drive problem?

Capt. 2110

Registered
Jul 31, 2019
The Dreamcast, to my knowledge, will boot up without the GD ROM drive installed. I'd take the drive out, turn the system on, and (if the tray closed switch is on the mainboard, idr) push the tray closed switch to see if it shuts down.

If it turns off, let me know and I'll start thinking of possible causes.

If it doesn't, try holding the switch down on power up. If it boots properly, your drive has an issue (short circuit, bad motor, etc). If it doesn't, let me know.

If you don't know how to take the system apart, there are four Phillips head screws on the bottom, three visible and one under the modem. Remove them, flip the system over, pull the top off, and you're in.

accel99

Original poster
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Accel99
AG Join Date
March 28 2008
It's most likely the gdrom drives motor then. Boots to the Dreamcast logo without a drive but if a drive is put on(and is closed) it just stays on a black screen. If I try to put a disc in the drive it will sometimes spin like once then the entire Dreamcast shuts off and refuses to boot for a couple minutes.

So it boots with no drive or drive open. It's a revsion 0 DC then I have a revision 1 that boots but outputs nothing(it's like it wasn't even connected to a display) if the gdrom drive is plugged it. But boots and outputs the swirl on screen without the drive.

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
as long i remember (been years that ive tried power on without gdrom) without gdrom, only the swirl will show after ~1 minute and stay there it wont continue to dcmenu. @megavolt85 will his dc work with an ode or hdd mod like this? or ba5986fm need to be replaced? dont try swaping gdrom units between the 2 dcs they operate on different voltage 5v va0 3.3 va1. your second va1 dc looks like it has damaged dac. the dac ic is only found on dc hardware most likely you wont find just the chip to buy and replace. dchdmi mod is another fix if you like, it takes the signals from the dac input :)

Last edited:

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
will his dc work with an ode or hdd mod like this?

GDEMU not compatibility with VA0, only USB-GDROM
for use HDD need remove damaged BA5986FM or don't install gd-rom board and install 33.8688 MHz clock generator

ont try swaping gdrom units between the 2 dcs they operate on different voltage 5v va0 3.3 va1.

GD-ROM as all CD-ROM's tollerant to both voltages

Reactions: truemaster

QUAKE

Sep 19, 2019
AGName
QUAKE
AG Join Date
I'm having the same problem with a few dreamcasts. It would boot but when disc spins up, turn off and not turn on for a period of time.

Is the BA5986FM chip faulty on those? Is it the capacitors on the gdrom controller board?

Are all the parts swappable between different gdrom brands and revisions and V0 and V1 versions of dreamcasts?

Make a donation