Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Dreamcast dreamcast gdemu

Hakai

Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
Hello, For a long time I've been wanting to mod my dreamcast. I decided to start with the gdemu. I took my dc apart to clean while waiting for gdemu. I've read a lot about this and watched a few yt videos.

I am needing a bit a help/advice.

My dc has the 1 on the back, on the board it has a 2 but the drive has the 3.3. am I unable to mod woth gdemu because of the board number?

Yes, I am a full on noob at this but would like to get into modding and have to start somewhere.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

(Also sorry if I have posted this in wrong place. honestly I've never posted on a forum before. I read them but never posted).

Attachments

• 20210218_140728.jpg
    20210218_140728.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210218_140642.jpg
    20210218_140642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210218_140637.jpg
    20210218_140637.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Raen

Dec 28, 2020
AGName
Raen
AG Join Date
28th March 2013
You're worrying with things you shouldn't. Get a GDEMU and you'll be fine. The (1) on the bottom is the number that matters.

Reactions: Hakai

Hakai

Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
oh thanks! it's just I've read, if the board has the 2 but case has 1, then maybe the case was swapped at some point.

Don't wanna break my dc

deadlegion

Registered
Feb 16, 2021
oh thanks! it's just I've read, if the board has the 2 but case has 1, then maybe the case was swapped at some point.

Don't wanna break my dc
Your DC has 3.3v drive and is booting discs ok?
This is what is important.

Yes, shells can be swapped. Japanese consoles don't have a number on the bottom so you need to check the drive.
I got a Japanese unit recently with a dead laser, I tore it right down to the mainboard just to be absolutely sure of the version.

The 2 you are talking about is just on the controller board, this isn't the mainboard.
While you're there I would swap in a battery holder if you haven't already and change the fuse for a reset type.
Don't use CR2032 battery in holder, use ML2032.

If you're going to install GDEMU then you will need to think about extra heat produced from stock PSU.

Reactions: bond.san and Hakai

Hakai

Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
Wow, thanks! yep I've ordered the new fan and 3d printed mount. I've also ordered the new fuse/battery/LED and finally a psu.

I read about the 1/2 on controller board here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/retrog...a-dreamcast-gdemu-installation-and-setup/amp/

Thats what had me worried.

Also is there anywhere to get a new shell? that's not from China? Read the import costs are stupid expensive.

Thanks deadlegion, I appreciate the info and the advice. its what I needed.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Well the number would be on the motherboartd, not the controller board. Motherboard is hidden
under all that shielding.

Reactions: Hakai

Hakai

Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
Well the number would be on the motherboartd, not the controller board. Motherboard is hidden
under all that shielding.
Thanks. I've gotten to the main mobo & it is forsure a va1. Thanks everyone taking time to help me out.

Reactions: Anthony817

Make a donation