ShakeMadMan

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
i am engaging at looking at getting a dreamcast. i would like to know the list of online games and most popular games played online. and last but not lest. what way is the best to play the games online, burning a CD-R, Dreamshell, sd card, or whatever. also what is the cheap's way to play the game's online not getting the game's but running the game's. ohh one more ?. who or where sells the dreamcast ps2 or usb mouse adapter or can i make one. all said and done what's all this cost in the end. any info would be vary helpful. thank you. you have a good day

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
  1. For documentation on how to connect your Dreamcast back online, visit: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide
  2. To see the current resurrected online Dreamcast games, visit: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/games
  3. To see who's playing online on Dreamcast right now, visit: https://dreamcast.online/now/
iwhat way is the best to play the games online, burning a CD-R, Dreamshell, sd card, or whatever.
The easiest way is to rely on your original GD-ROMS, this way the game will always work as intended*. An other great way is to use a ODE like GDEMU. Using Dreamshell, a regular SD-card adapter or CD-Rs *might* give you some headaches along the way in terms of compatibility and protections.

*If you use DreamPi all resurrected games will automatically connect to the right new servers, without it you will have to use certain trickery to connect to the right server addresses etc.

also what is the cheap's way to play the game's online not getting the game's but running the game's.
The best way to play all currently resurrected online Dreamcast games is to use DreamPi (Raspberry Pi + DreamPi software on SD-card + a USB modem) this is also cheaper vs getting a BBA (Broadband Adapter for Dreamcast).

ShakeMadMan

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
A new ?. where do i find out if there are any other Multiplayer game ported to work online on the dreamcast like doom, quake, hexen and so on. from research looks like ps2 lazer mouse adapters are 2x, EMS Total Control 5 or Skillz Dream Connection 2 in 1. both long gone, dead links or out of stock. !!!!FOCK!!!! if i can't get a ps2 lazer mouse useable. this will kill any FPS game's i wanted to play with a lazer mouse

Last edited:

ShakeMadMan

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
ok never mind. there is doom and quake ports online on dreamcast. so moving on. what else is there for Multiplayer game's ported online on the dreamcast. also what do you guys think about this to play FPS. Dreamcast MadCatz Panther DC and Dreamcast ASCII mission stick,.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
As far as homebrew stuff goes, there really isn't a lot working online. You already know about the Doom and Quake ports, and Quake World is still in the works and not even publicly released yet. Shuoma is still working on getting the other former online games resurrected first.

I really don't see the insistence on using something else other than the official controller for FPS games? Just think of it like how it is on a PC with keyboard, W, A, S, D movement and A, B, X, Y, are practically the same 100% digital. Sure lack of an extra analog is disappointing, but the analog stick is used for free look in most games, and can be used in all FPS games on the console.

Sure, mouse is superior, and I am primarily a PC gamer too at least as far as for modern games. So I get the whole argument about using mouse and keyboard on the DC. But as far as working PS2 laser mice, it is going to be difficult to maybe find those now. There are those PS2 to Dreamcast mouse and keyboard adapters you mentioned, as well as PS2 to USB adapters. Not sure if those would actually work on the DC. I heard people say that had problems with them.

Just practice getting used to playing Half-Life. It really has similar controls to Goldeneye 007 on N64 when you think about it, due to the controller layout. Strafing is done with the face buttons which are digital C buttons on that system. PSP FPS games were handled the same way as well for that matter. So it is not like that control scheme is unprecedented or anything, at least 3 systems worked that way.

It just takes a little time getting used to it but once you get the hang of it you stop thinking about it and it just comes second nature.

Also, don;t forget, Retro-Bit will eventually release wireless dual analog controllers for DC that are officially licensed by Sega, which will have Saturn Styled 8-Way D-Pad, and 6 face buttons. It is our hope in the community that games could be hex edited to use more modern layout on these controllers since the Maple protocol actually supports up to 2 analog and 2 D-Pad inputs at once. So eventually this should all be taken care of, you would just have to use copies of games that were prepatched for the new layout.

Edit: You can see my thread here about the new Retro-Bit controller. I really have been super excited for this since they revealed they were making all new controllers at CES 18'.

I also update the thread whenever more news is revealed. It has just been a while since we heard anything about them. They told me on Twitter that they were still pending approval by Sega on the final design.

Last edited:

ShakeMadMan

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
As far as homebrew stuff goes, there really isn't a lot working online. You already know about the Doom and Quake ports, and Quake World is still in the works and not even publicly released yet. Shuoma is still working on getting the other former online games resurrected first.

I really don't see the insistence on using something else other than the official controller for FPS games? Just think of it like how it is on a PC with keyboard, W, A, S, D movement and A, B, X, Y, are practically the same 100% digital. Sure lack of an extra analog is disappointing, but the analog stick is used for free look in most games, and can be used in all FPS games on the console.

Sure, mouse is superior, and I am primarily a PC gamer too at least as far as for modern games. So I get the whole argument about using mouse and keyboard on the DC. But as far as working PS2 laser mice, it is going to be difficult to maybe find those now. There are those PS2 to Dreamcast mouse and keyboard adapters you mentioned, as well as PS2 to USB adapters. Not sure if those would actually work on the DC. I heard people say that had problems with them.

Just practice getting used to playing Half-Life. It really has similar controls to Goldeneye 007 on N64 when you think about it, due to the controller layout. Strafing is done with the face buttons which are digital C buttons on that system. PSP FPS games were handled the same way as well for that matter. So it is not like that control scheme is unprecedented or anything, at least 3 systems worked that way.

It just takes a little time getting used to it but once you get the hang of it you stop thinking about it and it just comes second nature.

Also, don;t forget, Retro-Bit will eventually release wireless dual analog controllers for DC that are officially licensed by Sega, which will have Saturn Styled 8-Way D-Pad, and 6 face buttons. It is our hope in the community that games could be hex edited to use more modern layout on these controllers since the Maple protocol actually supports up to 2 analog and 2 D-Pad inputs at once. So eventually this should all be taken care of, you would just have to use copies of games that were prepatched for the new layout.

Edit: You can see my thread here about the new Retro-Bit controller. I really have been super excited for this since they revealed they were making all new controllers at CES 18'.

I also update the thread whenever more news is revealed. It has just been a while since we heard anything about them. They told me on Twitter that they were still pending approval by Sega on the final design.

thank you vary much for the info. when i have more ?s i will be back.

Make a donation