Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Half Mile Ride
AG Join Date
November 19th, 2016.
Hello new OG!

My friend kuriatsu and me have these PS3s that have this unique system type 'dtcpipdevdex', We haven't been able to find anything Online regarding them for a month and would like to know what they are worth.

Besides garden-variety Debugging Station features, these have a couple of features unique to this system type that will be explained in a video in a few weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: 1

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
We've been trying to gather information, but really most of it has been internal to the PS3, as opposed to external, like it's internal designation, and it's capabilities

Last edited:

FromAllAspects

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
FromAllAspects
AG Join Date
December 7th, 2017
We've been trying to gather information, but really most of it has been internal to the PS3, as opposed to external, like it's internal designation, and it's capabilities
There's someone I know who might be able to tell you about it. He's usually on Twitter, search up, Intrenz/Developer Jeff. Good luck and tell us how you go! It seems quite interesting.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

Reactions: Kuriatsu

Dans34

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jan 19, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dans87
AG Join Date
Jan 6, 2013
stupid question , where does it tell you the system type ?

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
If you go to the system section> system firmware and press l1, r1, square and left, for 3 - 5 seconds and release them and press start it will say a name in the upper right

Edit: to make it stay up, without holding start press left once and release both, it should stay up

@fromallrespects, thank you for your suggestion :) I sent him a message :)

Last edited:

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
nice ps3, but it hard to tell market price.
if same as debug, should be around $200-300

D

Deleted member 274

It's a standard DECH-3000 Debugging kit flashed with a special firmware for DTCP-IP testing purposes. Similar to AVTool units in that they are signed differently. The hardware you will find to be basically your normal debugging kit. Hope this helps. ?

HalfMileRide

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Half Mile Ride
AG Join Date
November 19th, 2016.
nice ps3, but it hard to tell market price.
if same as debug, should be around $200-300

As of now we know that it has all of the features of a regular debugging station plus dtcpip debugging features.
Regarding the price aren't the more common DECH2000 and DECH2500 that sell at that range? DECH3000 or DECH4000AA don't pop up for sale as commonly as those other 2.

Also I think that the distinctiveness of this particular system type should add a bit more value because of its rarity.

HalfMileRide

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Half Mile Ride
AG Join Date
November 19th, 2016.
It's a standard DECH-3000 Debugging kit flashed with a special firmware for DTCP-IP testing purposes. Similar to AVTool units in that they are signed differently. The hardware you will find to be basically your normal debugging kit. Hope this helps. ?

Thanks.

I find myself scratching my head trying to reason why Sony would create a whole new system type and family of firmwares just to test one feature, DTCP-IP support on the PS3 has been around for almost a decade.

Reactions: 1

I find myself scratching my head trying to reason why Sony would create a whole new system type and family of firmwares just to test one feature, DTCP-IP support on the PS3 has been around for almost a decade.

I find this odd too, this kit while normal hardware but has value in the software for sure. I'm not even sure what to value it at, but personally I'd say hold onto it for now and dig into researching it. It could have more software options hidden away. I mean hell even the retails still have stuff to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HalfMileRide

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
I absolutely agree. I'm keeping my two consoles for now in arms reach unless I absolutely have to part with one.

HalfMileRide

Original poster
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Half Mile Ride
AG Join Date
November 19th, 2016.
I find this odd too, this kit wile normal hardware has value in the software for sure. I'm not even sure what to value it at, but personally I'd say hold onto it for now and dig into researching it. It could have more software options hidden away. I mean hell even the retails still have stuff to find.

Indeed, developing a whole new firmware family means they had to spend the money to engineer whatever special features they wanted to include in the system, what is even more interesting is if the system was flashed like this at the factory or with a special JIG like the Service Mode enablers.

I'm leaning towards keeping it to tinker with.

Reactions: Kuriatsu and 1

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
This whole dtcpipdevdex console doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. Why make this console type at all? Dtcp was already tested and put into place by the time the slim 3000 series were revealed.

D

Deleted member 274

Bit of insider knowledge here, Sony does extensive testing with each variation of hardware. There is a DTCP and A/V variant in each major hardware design to ensure quality and compatibility when making revisions. These units were not internal models so it's not likely to be flashed directly by SCE or SCEI, most likely, without divulging too much information it was flashed via "alternative means". Again the hardware on such units is identical to the DECH DEX counterpart "DECHS aside" . The differences are in the software, as these were used for specific work cases. I can tell you that some of the first party devs got such kits in their studios at one point or another "various models" some third party as well. They are less common than the normal DEX hardware family, but they're out there along with a few other testing specific console variations. Best to avoid tampering with the units in order to preserve the firmware until you're able to dump, as that's where the system is special. These units are signed differently than their DEX counterparts. Again any questions feel free to contact me, or one of the talented sceners such as M4JOR or Zecoxao. Have fun! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 274

Bit of insider knowledge here, Sony does extensive testing with each variation of hardware. There is a DTCP and A/V variant in each major hardware design to ensure quality and compatibility when making revisions. These units were not internal models so it's not likely to be flashed directly by SCE or SCEI, most likely, without divulging too much information it was flashed via "alternative means". Again the hardware on such units is identical to the DECH DEX counterpart. The major and only differences are in the software, as these were used for specific work cases. I can tell you that the majority of first party devs got such kits in their studios at one point or another "various models" some third party as well. They are less common than the normal DEX hardware family, but they're out there along with a few other testing specific console variations. Best to avoid tampering with the units in order to preserve the firmware until you're able to dump, as that's where the system is special. These units are signed differently than their DEX counterparts, however if you look closely you'll find a number of non retail firmware variations, dex, sex, cex, decr, bootrom, sdex and so on. Again any questions feel free to contact me, or one of the talented sceners such as M4JOR or Zecoxao. Have fun! ?

Furthermore since the changes were made in software there wasn't a whole lot of overhead with these systems, so it wasnt exactly cost ineffective. The reason you don't see as many were simply because it wasn't nessecary for studios to have 10-20 ect of these laying around since again the use case was specific. Hope this helps. - Jeff

Kuriatsu

May 30, 2019
While I said it in private messages, I wanted to also say it here. Thank you so much for the info and for your help.
We'll be getting the video going at some point in the next few weeks, there's a bunch of info to go over.

Reactions: PixelCrunch

Make a donation