Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Oct 18, 2018
AG Join Date
Jul 11, 2017
Hello OGers.
In the middle of acquiring a working DTL-H1000 or H1001 debugger unit in the coming months, and as I am no mastermind when it comes to hardware (- just history!) I thought that I'd come over here where I can pick all your expert noggins.

I know they are very similar to a retail unit, but I wanted to be certain I have the right idea and the right parts before I even so much as attempt to breathe on a debug unit. I want it to reliably last as long as it can, snapping up a few replacement CD spindles and other odds (step down converter!) just in case some of the common issues arise.

With the PS1 laser rigmarole "fondly" burned into my memory, I come to the OG experts with a humble question:

Which laser (or as close to it nowadays) is used in the H1000/1001 units? Can I use replacements from busted retail units/order chinese clones?

From my novice and uninformed sleuthing, it seems something like a KSM-440ADM/AEM would be the right way to go. Would appreciate any pointers and insight from OGers more experienced with the PS1 hardware! :giggle:

weldedale

Registered
Jun 1, 2019
AGName
weldedale
AG Join Date
May 4, 2010
Use a KSM BAM laser from a broken SCPH 10X, they are a perfect fit after you swap the top plate. I wouldn't waste your money on a new laser as they tend to be cheap copies that don't work.

Last edited:

dickibow

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dickibow
AG Join Date
February 25, 2005
I’ve bought several cheap Chinese lenses in the past and only one out of about six was any good. So, whilst that particular lens is decent, it’s not worth the risk. Buy a used good PSone console and steal the BAM lens out of it. I’ve done that a few times and stocked up some spares. I’ve even bought 220v power boards so that I don’t have to use step downs on my 110v PSX consoles. Just be careful when dismantling and don’t damage the coloured plastics of the debug units as you won’t find spares.

Spaceman

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Oct 18, 2018
AG Join Date
Jul 11, 2017
Use a KSM BAM laser from a broken SCPH 10X, they are a perfect fit after you swap the top plate. I wouldn't waste your money on a new laser as they tend to be cheap copies that don't work.

I’ve bought several cheap Chinese lenses in the past and only one out of about six was any good. So, whilst that particular lens is decent, it’s not worth the risk. Buy a used good PSone console and steal the BAM lens out of it. I’ve done that a few times and stocked up some spares. I’ve even bought 220v power boards so that I don’t have to use step downs on my 110v PSX consoles. Just be careful when dismantling and don’t damage the coloured plastics of the debug units as you won’t find spares.

Thanks both of you for your insight and experience! Turns out, it's much cheaper here in upside-down land to buy a few junked retail units than it is to purchase a step-down converter (even at 100W!), so I'll likely be going down that route, and replacing the internal power with the 220v PAL power supply.

So, go for an SCPH 7XXX/9XXX for the power, and look for a PSOne/10X for the laser lens? Is it not advisable to use one from the original bigger units due to age/quality? Either way, this saves me more money than using a step down. :)

dickibow

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dickibow
AG Join Date
February 25, 2005
I bought my power boards on their own (already out of a console so no idea what version machines they were taken from), but I just looked at the photos and compared with mine. I think they’re mostly interchangeable. I’d stick with the same family so a DTL-H model is going to be like a SCPH-1x.
Yep, a nice tidy low usage PSone console for the BAM lens 👍🏻

Spaceman

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Oct 18, 2018
AG Join Date
Jul 11, 2017
Yeah the only thing I've been told to keep an eye out for is making sure it has the same pins as iirc the earlier models had more(7?) instead of the standard 5-pin, so I'd assume to stick with hunting for SCPH-1002's for their power boards. And a PSone for the BAM, too easy. Cheers for all the pointers (y)

Trimesh

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Trimesh
AG Join Date
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks both of you for your insight and experience! Turns out, it's much cheaper here in upside-down land to buy a few junked retail units than it is to purchase a step-down converter (even at 100W!), so I'll likely be going down that route, and replacing the internal power with the 220v PAL power supply.

So, go for an SCPH 7XXX/9XXX for the power, and look for a PSOne/10X for the laser lens? Is it not advisable to use one from the original bigger units due to age/quality? Either way, this saves me more money than using a step down. :)

They won't fit - the DTL-H1000 uses a 7-pin power supply so you have to take one from a SCPH-1002.

Make a donation