Jun 6, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dickibow
AG Join Date
February 25, 2005
Hi all,

I have a PS2 debugging station (DTL-H90000A) and I just put in a PS1 NTSC-J game “Let’s go by Train 2” and also plugged in the weird PS1 train controller that was bundled with the game. During boot up of the console if I fiddle with the train throttle on the control pad I get a menu popping up on the PS2 that says “Select region to be developed”. There are a selection of regions to choose from ranging from:

NTSC U/C
NTSC J (JP)
NTSC J (KR)
NTSC J (AS)
PAL (EU)
PAL (RU)

The current setting is: NTSC U/C.

I’ve always thought it odd that PS1 games from PAL regions didn’t display properly so wondering if I can select PAL (EU) and then run a PAL game with the correct display not being off-centred. That would be cool. EDIT: yes, it appears the region can be changed.

Has anyone got any further information regarding this menu and what it does exactly? Has anyone seen it before? I’m sure there is a proper way to get into this menu and I’ll do some more fiddling/testing but so far with a regular PS2 controller I can’t replicate it. I couldn’t find anything on google either. I added a photo for reference.

EDIT: yep, it seems that during boot up, if you press L1/L2/R1/R2 all at the same time when the console displays “Sony Computer Entertainment” you can change the region. In all my years I had no idea you could do this! Ha!

P.S I posted this on AG too because I wasn’t sure if anyone still uses it?! Are most ex AG people here these days?image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

psydefx

Registered
Jul 6, 2019
AGName
psydefx
AG Join Date
March 27, 2016
neat. ill try and see if it can be done on my dtl-h70011s

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Does not work on my DTL-H10100 or DTL-H30101, if I had to guess this may have been added as a feature when they put the region in the eeprom, if that’s the case it may not exist below DTL-H750xx

Reactions: AKuHAK and pool7

dickibow

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Jun 6, 2019
Donations
£5.00
AGName
Dickibow
AG Join Date
February 25, 2005
If I had to guess this may have been added as a feature when they put the region in the eeprom, if that’s the case it may not exist below DTL-H750xx

Yes, also from the 75xxxA and 90000A series the NTSC or PAL designator was removed from the rear serial information sticker. In addition to what Tokimemofan said I’m willing to bet it’s only those consoles that have this feature. PS2 consoles auto switch output between NTSC and PAL but not when playing a PS1 game. If you change the region in the menu you can output PAL or NTSC PS1 games perfectly.

Reactions: pool7

Tokimemofan

Registered
May 30, 2019
Yes, also from the 75xxxA and 90000A series the NTSC or PAL designator was removed from the rear serial information sticker. In addition to what Tokimemofan said I’m willing to bet it’s only those consoles that have this feature. PS2 consoles auto switch output between NTSC and PAL but not when playing a PS1 game. If you change the region in the menu you can output PAL or NTSC PS1 games perfectly.
That would also explain why no one has mentioned this before, most debugs people have are old ones

Thebigman1106

Registered
Jun 9, 2019
AGName
thebigman1106
AG Join Date
This is amazing! I've owned debug ps2 units for years, ever known this.

Thanks!

Reactions: dickibow

Make a donation