Xe

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
Take a look guys, enjoy this early prototype pad :)

QBkIbWt.jpg

g78jIRG.jpg

Tu5dB6V.jpg

XMmFfUt.jpg

AMWpO1v.jpg

YAtumxw.jpg

s4k3eE5.jpg

66xGk5K.jpg

mtkBy4r.jpg

O7wzHvO.jpg

ILVidDM.jpg

GamingLegend64

Registered
May 31, 2019
It’s an awesome controller :). Ill try and get collection photos up sometime those weekend. I won’t be able to compete with Shane’s photo quality :)

Reactions: Xe
D

Deleted member 274

And my other controller, this one is a little odd. Its the only DS4 I've ever seen. Has anyone ever seen another?

0qu45oW.jpg

X90Ff0N.jpg
Yes! There should be a half speed variant too. ??BTW very nice pads the Grey one is fairly early and was most definitely an alpha marlin controller. Should also be 1/2 speed it was used on the marlin development kits ver1 not 2. They actually came with those kits if I'm not mistaken, Iv seen them pop up loose and together before but it's not often congratulations on both! ?

GamingLegend64

Registered
May 31, 2019
What does the half speeds, 3/4 speeds mean? What do they do that’s different from a retail controller which I’d assume is full speed?

D

Deleted member 274

What does the half speeds, 3/4 speeds mean? What do they do that’s different from a retail controller which I’d assume is full speed?
It's the speed that the system runs at, a 3/4 until will for example run at 3/4 the speed compared to a retail kit, the marlin development kit was a 3/4 unit but also had a 1/2 speed variant which is earlier than the 3/4. For example the commonly seen GDEV boxes are 3/4 units the beta GDEV boxes "technically prototypes" came with 1/2 speed orcas. Though the vast majority were in fact sent in to Nintendo to be upgraded with the later 3/4 boards. The speed on the controller is reference to the unit it was used on. For a example again 3/4 was later version of the prototype marlin kits, 1/2 is earlier. Retail units and even a few dev pads are full speed however. A 3/4 pad for example the sample pad you got from me will run on full speed hardware provided the interfaces are compatible. So rj11 would only be for marlin kits and early hardware.

Reactions: GamingLegend64
D

Deleted member 274

Also to the OP the DS4 is a variation of the marlin development pad. It is a slightly earlier revision than the ds5 which is more commonly seen with such kits, it likely was used with the v2 kit however. The earlier pad is the half speed variant for the alpha kits. Both impressive pieces of equipment thanks for sharing! ?-Jeff

Xe

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
Sep 3, 2018
AG Join Date
Mar 23, 2012
There is some difference between the controller versions. There’s a thread over on Ag that mentions the bit period being longer for 3/4 speed controllers. 4us for regular retail controllers and 5.3 for 3/4 speed. In the sdk docs it mentions that anything compiled for ds5 full speed isn’t backwards compatible with ds4,ds3. This ds4 prototype came with a 3/4 speed beta gdev like Jeff mentioned. Any beta gdev you see nowadays aren’t truly beta, they’ve just been retrofitted.

D

Deleted member 274

There are other differences between 1/2, 3/4 and full speed units as well such as polling speeds and so on, unfortunately it is unlikely we will see any 1/2 speed GDEVS with their original orcas ? Very cool stuff either way, you have a DDH for the alpha pad?

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
Take a look guys, enjoy this early prototype pad :)

QBkIbWt.jpg

g78jIRG.jpg

Tu5dB6V.jpg

XMmFfUt.jpg

AMWpO1v.jpg

YAtumxw.jpg

s4k3eE5.jpg

66xGk5K.jpg

mtkBy4r.jpg

O7wzHvO.jpg

ILVidDM.jpg
That's a really cool alternate/early design. It looks like a UFO though lol

Seroczynski

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Seroczynski
AG Join Date
Jun 30, 2016
Although the buttons and thumbsticks look a little bit whack, I can imagine these controllers being really comfortable. Reminds me of the PS1 Dual Analogues which were a tad bigger than the DualShocks.

Synnett

Registered
Jun 12, 2019
AGName
Synnett
AG Join Date
July 18, 2016
Amazing, thanks for sharing!

ZeldaFan042

May 30, 2019
That white one looks fantastic! I hope to obtain one of these prototype controllers someday. Thanks for sharing!

Jackhead

Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Jackhead
AG Join Date
April 3, 2008
Far as i know the DS4 was not really a prototype controller, it comes with the DDH Tower. First with the RJ later with regular plug.
The white on is a proto, nice one!

Make a donation