Dreamcast Faster Than Speed

Pitito

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
pitito
AG Join Date
03/08/2015
Wow !!! Thank you megavolt for the new conversion !!!

stranno

Registered
Mar 28, 2020
AGName
stranno
Amazing, thank you MegaVolt!

Edit: Tested and it's pretty meh, imo. Reflections are baked, tracks are boring (sometimes it tries to be a bit Cruisn', with the planes and stuff, but most of the time they are pretty badly designed NFS tracks), handling is poor (could be related to the wheel to gamepad wrapper) and it's borderline unplayable due confusing city design. You have to memorize every track or you have to play watching the minimap constantly.

There are worse racing games, especially from 2003 and on, but this one's not one of the good ones, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKKhanzo

Blai

Registered
Oct 2, 2020
AGName
Blai
AG Join Date
Thanks, can't wait to try it

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Amazing, thank you MegaVolt!

Edit: Tested and it's pretty meh, imo. Reflections are baked, tracks are boring (sometimes it tries to be a bit Cruisn', with the planes and stuff, but most of the time they are pretty badly designed NFS tracks), handling is poor (could be related to the wheel to gamepad wrapper) and it's borderline unplayable due confusing city design. You have to memorize every track or you have to play watching the minimap constantly.

There are worse racing games, especially from 2003 and on, but this one's not one of the good ones, that's for sure.

What if I told you it was using the Sega GT engine? I have heard from many people it is using the sound effects from that game, maybe even buildings and some other assets, as well as has the same wheel glitch where it sometimes goes into the ground. Unfortunately I am unable to open the files with GD-Rom Explorer. I do get this error.

IQPG0UC.png

I seriously think maybe the cars in this game could be modded in from Sega GT if they really are so similar. I mean, imagine a modded version with real cars.

Reactions: fafadou

stranno

Registered
Mar 28, 2020
AGName
stranno
What if I told you it was using the Sega GT engine? I have heard from many people it is using the sound effects from that game, maybe even buildings and some other assets, as well as has the same wheel glitch where it sometimes goes into the ground. Unfortunately I am unable to open the files with GD-Rom Explorer. I do get this error.

I seriously think maybe the cars in this game could be modded in from Sega GT if they really are so similar. I mean, imagine a modded version with real cars.
Yeah, it gives me some Sega GT vibes. Still, Sega GT is far more clear (since they are circuits) and doesn't rely on blocked turns everywhere, plus it has far better track design.

I mean, I don't want to push that hard Faster than Speed, it's probably a low low budget arcade. But it barely makes the job.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Well, it was trying to capitalize on both Fast and the Furious and Need for Speed with that name hehe. Maybe it could be made better with mods. I seriously hope we can swap in the licensed cars from Sega GT, that would make it cooler.

@megavolt, how are you modifying the game files? Do you know if it is possible to look at the raw game files and then rebuild it into a usable .gdi?

Wombat

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Wombat
AG Join Date
14-03-2004
I always have a soft spot for real arcade racing titles. Definitely going to give Faster Than Speed a spin. As always thank you @megavolt85 for doing the impossible :)

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
Do you know if it is possible to look at the raw game files and then rebuild it into a usable .gdi?
AW games/cartridges have own custom file structure, not ISO, so you will not be able to open it using GD-explorer and similar tools.

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
What if I told you it was using the Sega GT engine?
are you sure ? afaik this game was developed by Sammy (or some of its subsidiaries), I doubt Sega shared/licensed to them SGT game engine.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Too many similarities. The car sounds are the same as some from there, it literally has the same wheel bug where they go into the ground sometimes, and most damning of all is Esppiral actually ported over the 60fps patch code directly from Sega GT, so that is too many coincidences. I seen too many people say that they thought it was also the Sega GT engine and some assets. Of course this is still just speculation, but we have the raw files to look over now thanks to megavolt.

MetalliC

Registered
Jun 28, 2019
AGName
MetalliC
AG Join Date
engine = game code, not game assets files or sounds (which is usually licensed 3rd party sound libraries)

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Yes, I know, I am just saying. The game engine must be similar at least since Esppiral was able to literally port over the 60 FPS code over to this one. He said the values were literally the same. I am just going by what others have suggested. I have no proof it is other than just really compelling evidence that the assets and engine itself may be similar. What about the similar bugs like the wheels going into the ground?

I am just saying there is compelling evidence that it is at least similar. Again, I am only a Battlefield 2 mod developer, I am not a coder. So I know about technical terms and a little bit about game development than the average person since I do work on total conversion mods for BF2. However, I do not compare to you guys in the slightest.

I still don't know that it is the same or similar engine, I am just lookign at many compelling forms of evidence that is starting to add up.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
are you sure ? afaik this game was developed by Sammy (or some of its subsidiaries), I doubt Sega shared/licensed to them SGT game engine.
Doesn't Sega own Sammy?

Edit: They merged in 2004, the same year Faster than Speed was released. So it is still unclear, but plausible, that they shared code.

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
Unfortunately I am unable to open the files with GD-Rom Explorer. I do get this error.

megavolt's Atomiswave images are non-standard GDIs, basically truncated similar to using GDIShrink, so that's why you get that error.
But even if you added padding to the image to get it to open in GD-ROM Explorer, you're only going to see a 1ST_READ.BIN in the filesystem; all of the games assets are basically still in an Atomiswave ROM hidden at LBA 450000, not inside the iso9660 filesystem

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Original poster
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
in all ports G1ROMFS staryed from LBA 45300
track04 is 1ST_READ.BIN and have LBA 450000, it's minimal LBA for main binary