Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

PS3 Fat PlayStation3 thermal paste replace?

CaptainPS2

Original poster
Registered
May 7, 2019
Hi! Two years ago I bought a fat PS3 to use with the latest CFW Exploit. Everything good and all but I notice that in such intensive games as GTA V, GTA IV, Fallout 3&NV my console starts to make a noise similar to a jet airliner. :)P) I know this has something to with the Thermal Paste. I believe the console was made somewhere around 2008-2009, when the fats were still produced. Is it hard to open up this bad boy and replace the thermal paste on the cpu & gpu? Maybe I should have waited a bit more and get myself a Slim but I really dig the looks of the Fat model. lol.

Bad_Ad84

Registered
May 30, 2019
AGName
Bad_Ad84
AG Join Date
26/05/2011
From what I know, it's not just the thermal paste between the chip and the heat sink, but the paste between the die of the chip and the metal heat spreader on top of the chip.

You have to delid the chip and replace the paste there, which can be fiddly and risk of damage if you slip.

Otherwise, yes it's just a case of changing both lots of paste.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainPS2

CaptainPS2

Original poster
Registered
May 7, 2019
From what I know, it's not just the thermal paste between the chip and the heat sink, but the paste between the die of the chip and the metal Hest spreader on top of the chip.

You have to delid the chip and replace the paste there, which can be fiddly and risk of damage if you slip.

Otherwise, yes it's just a case of changing both lots of paste.
I understand. Would it be safer to send my console to somebody who knows this stuff rather than going the hard way myself? I don't want to brick it since it is in a lovely condition. It barely has any cosmetic flaws.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I bought one a year and a half ago and refurbished and jailbroke it. It was filled up with so much dust it was pretty disgusting. It was idling at 83c before I cleaned it all out. I got it to idle at 53c from just performing that. However, I didn't delid the IHS. I just gave it a normal deep cleaning and added MX-4 thermal paste to it. Mine is a 2008, 64nm model machine too, so the same processor die. These machines are inherently loud to begin with. This is just normal. I have even tuned the fan curve on mine to target a cooler temperature and it kicks on really fast if it gets above 65c. I am used to it and this is within normal operation parameters.

Sure deliding the IHS will be best in the long run, but it is a post YLOD model system to begin with, and has a more efficient CELL chip than the very first models so IMHO it is fine.

Reactions: CaptainPS2

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
If you're willing to pay for it then it would certainly be safer if you are not comfortable doing it. I'm sure you could find plenty of reputable members around here who would be willing to do it for you. Would help if you posted what country you live in to start.

Reactions: Vorde

Make a donation