FATX-Tools v0.3.50

No permission to download

aerosoul

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Apr 1, 2019
github.com
I'd like to introduce FATX-Tools, which are some tools I wrote that may help some of you find some extra goodies in your XBOX and X360 hard drives. These are data recovery tools that can help some of you find and recover deleted content. They handle both dev and retail drives.

I also need to mention that these tools are not exactly finished, but they have helped some people recover some interesting data in the past.

- You will need to have created an image of your hard drive. Make sure that this image is uncompressed before using these tools.
- You will need Python 2.7 installed. The exact version used to develop these tools can be found here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716/
- Then you need to download FATX-Tools from my repo here: https://github.com/aerosoul94/fatx-tools

Run main_gui.py in a command prompt like so python main_gui.py.

From there you open your image file within the GUI and it will display the current file system of files that have not been deleted.
At this point you would right click any partition to perform actions upon it as shown above.

The Recover File System option will only extract the current contents of the file system. This does not recover deleted files.

It's important to understand that undeleted file contents are never guaranteed as file data may have been overwritten. Now I need to explain the differences of each method of analysis.
  • Orphan Analysis - This method searches for file system meta data called dirents. A dirent is created for each file or directory that is (or was) in the file system and contains information about this entry. A dirent contains the file's name, file attributes, file size, the file's time stamps, and the file's location in the hard drive. As these dirents are not erased once deleted, the information mentioned is still available making recovery a possibility.
  • Signature Analysis - This method is also known as file carving. It searches for files based off of their "signatures". An example would be the "magic" usually present at the beginning of a file to indicate what type of file it is (e.g. "XBE", "XEX2"). This type of analysis is not as reliable when it comes to recovering specific file meta data such as the name and timestamps. It tries to extract a name, if present within the file, and guess a file size based off of information from the file format. This is most useful when the dirent may have been overwritten though the file contents still exist.
After selecting either of the options, the progress bar at the bottom will inform you where its at in searching through the partition. A new tab will then pop up when its finished with the results.

Note that above, the "ears_godfather" folder was marked as deleted. The results of the orphan analyzer gives us what appears to be deleted contents of what may have existed somewhere within that folder.

Once again, these tools are not finished. If you have any questions or would like to report a bug please do so below or post an issue in the Github repo.

Last edited:

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
wait this long time..
I have 2 XDK from some where, 7years old no touch it.
it a good chance take a look any gift inside

Thank you :)

HI_RICKY

Donator
Donator
Registered
Mar 21, 2019
AGName
HI_Ricky
AG Join Date
Jun 7, 2007
I got error when recover file....
there 2 HDD clone, but big file got same error,
python 2.7.16 , winxp 32bit

error1.jpgerror2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: aerosoul

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
Iv never found anything with the signatures scan. Not sure why. :confused:

Edit : Its fixed now.

Last edited:

Edward_2452

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 29, 2019
AGName
james2452
Not sure what happened but with the latest update if you do Orphan Analysis . Then recover a cluster of a game it only recovers one folder with nothing in it. It never done this before with the other earlyer updates.

Edit : Its fixed now.

Last edited:

k0mpresd

Mar 19, 2020
have an issue with this software not opening partition 1 from a hdd img.
buffalo explorer can open the partition however.

you can see the fatx cmd shows the file paths but nothing under the gui.

edit: log file: https://ufile.io/ypjregjp

Attachments

• fatx.PNG
    fatx.PNG
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tjd2

Registered
Jan 8, 2020
The program doesn't seem to work with internal 4GB memory unit images. It shows two partitions: SystemPartition and Partition1, but it can't be expanded.
The program also shows this error twice: unpack requires a string argument of length 16

Damien

Please note I no longer work for OG.
Jan 2, 2021
On behalf of Aerosoul, I've changed the AppVeyor download to Github as new updates will be pushed there. I've updated the download to link to v0.3.50 which is latest.

CZroe

Oct 7, 2021
AGName
CZroe
AG Join Date
January 14, 2013
eBay Username
cyberzer0
Oh, man… I was about to clone one 2TB drive onto another so I’d have a backup of the user’s drive with all the games before I started work on his XboxHDMI installation. I thought Windows was prompting me to initialize the new/blank 2TB drive but it was prompting me to initialize the one with all the guy’s games and stuff on it.

Oops.

Now I have to find an even larger drive to make a raw, uncompressed, drive image so I can try FATX-Tools. Before I do, will FATX-Tools even work if I initialized the drive with a GUID partition table? The drive still seems to boot to XBMC in the customer’s XBOX but all the games are gone.

Make a donation