Yakumo

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
So, I just recently discovered than my FM Towns II Tower is in poor condition. The CD drive craps out after 10 minutes of use and the PSU now likes to randomly cut out.

The PSU issue shouldn't be too difficult to fix but the CD drive is. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement or are there any SD card solutions for the FM Towns? Without a functioning CD Drive or SD card solution the hardware is not much use.

Cooljerk

Jun 8, 2019
AGName
The Perfect K
I don't think one exists, but the guys at GDEMU said if enough people express interest, they'd take a stab at reworking the Marty Doc Brown ODE for a normal FM Towns. Unfortunately I don't think very many people got back to them about that. At the minimum, I'd suggest contacting them and letting them know there is some interest.

Re: Usefulness without an ODE: I think (but am not sure, definitely look into this more) that you can use a Gotek Floppy Drive Emulator with an FM Towns Tower. I know you can use one with the FM Towns Marty, and unlike the CD Rom Drive, I'm fairly certain it's the same type of floppy drive.

Yakumo

Original poster
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Yakumo
AG Join Date
From the beginning (whenever that was)
Thanks for the info. I'll message the Gdemu guys. The floppy emulator is cool but my two floppy drives are fine. They very really get used anyway. Its the CD drive which is needed for most software :(

Make a donation