Welcome, Guest!

Here are some links you may find helpful

Game demos containing parts of the full game.

DocStatic97

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
I'm currently looking cases similar to the one with the Crash Bash demos, where the full game, or at least parts of it, based on earlier builds or not, were accidentally left in and could be accessed.

For those who don't know, the Crash Bash demos all have a cheat code that let the player access most of the full game's content, some of it's broken and/or has placeholder stuff.

Did anything like that happen for other games?

Reactions: mementomori

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
I read that a demo disc of Keio Flying Squadron on the sega cd limited you to the first level during standard gameplay, but in fact, the disc contains the contents of the full game and you can go to all the other levels through a level select cheat code.

Mortal Kombat 2 dos version does not allow you to move the cursor in the choose character screen (therefore you can only choose liu kang and reptile), but if you hit the combination for random select (I think its up and F1 and up and F2) the cursor will move around the selection table for a random select and will randomly select other characters. The demo does not contain the files for most of the other characters and will crash if it randomly selects one of the characters it doesn't have files for, but it does let you play as Scorpion and Sub Zero since their sprites and unique moves are part of the same graphics files as Reptile. Back in the day a friend of mine had the full version copied to his HDD by his friend, but it needed the cd to run (this was before everyone had cd burners). We were able to copy the graphics files into the demo version directory and thereby play as everyone via random select without needing the cd.

DocStatic97

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
Okay, that Mortal Kombat thing is kinda interesting

Nex

Donator
Donator
Registered
Sep 1, 2018
The Dino Crisis 2 demo contains the full game with tons of differences
Resident Evil 2 (everything CAPCOM made at that point is on the disc, except for Claire stuff)
Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter Taikenban ( has the whole game)
Deathtrap Dungeon Rolling Demo contains the entire game level its set in
The Medevil Rolling demo has all levels it showcases completley on disc, over a year before the game released
Divine Divinity has a early demo that includes all data for the first region, only downside is all graphical data is missing
The old diablo demos have more floors than normally accessible if I remember correctly

thats everything I can think of on the spot

Reactions: mementomori

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
All XBLA game demos on the 360 contain the full game, it's just locked until you purchase the game. If you have a modded system, you can unlock demos to the full game.

DocStatic97

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
Yeah, the XBLA thing is a given, I'm more interested in the more "obscure" or "accidental" inclusion of content in demos, like how the RE2 and DC2 demos contain the whole thing hidden in files

Reactions: Nex

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
A well known case is Keio Flying Squadron PAL demo, that stops after the first level; but the rest of the full game is there, including the level select. If you start from stage 2 you can play all of the rest of the game.

Thunder Force V demo on Saturn has the first stage playable, but SOME of the stage data is present for the rest. I think it's object placement and graphics (been a while since I looked), but not the actual level script. If you hack the game data to load the alternate level files, you can glimpse some parts of the beginning of each level before the game crashes. So it's not playable, but they had a lot more content there than just the first stage.
The demo itself is many months before the final game, it's basically a beta version with TF4 placeholders, different enemy placements, lots of bugs, etc., so it would be interesting if someone could extract the content to see how far the game was.

DocStatic97

Original poster
Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
mspeter97
AG Join Date
February 28 2013
That Keio Flying Squadron demo, I hope people didn't figure out the level select cheat before the game got out.

Make a donation