Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I have the same dirty Gamecube controllers from childhood. I was about to toss them out and get new ones but I decided it would be a better idea to clean up the ones i have and see if i can salvage them.

Some of the problems I was having was the joysticks not being sensitive enough, and I found out that was most likely from dust and gunk inside of the controller that I have since cleaned out.

Other than the filth, the biggest problem was the joysticks were completely worn out. So i looked into replacement buttons. I found some complete sets of buttons on Ebay for about $6 each, and they have lots of different colors.

The button quality is great. Over all, I'd recommend these, there's just 2 problems. The Z button it comes with is completely unusable, so you're original Z button needs to be intact. The other issue is with the control stick. The top part is made of a soft rubber, very similar to the original. It feels great, but I can feel it slightly rubbing up against the sides. It's very slight, for normal gameplay it's a non-issue and it might break in. Of course, this may or may not be a problem for Smash fans, I have yet to test it out, I will get back when I do.

The first controller was just a button swap, for the next one I wanted to paint the front shell. It will be grey on the front, black on the back and with orange buttons.

I will get back to you with more details to let you know how this goes, and I will add to this thread as I do more.

Last edited:

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
20190614_213422.jpg

Just finished up this controller. I designed it after the Black ops 3 ps4 controller color scheme if anyone is familiar with that. Looks great except the C on the C stick is off center! I guess not all these buttons are created equally.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
That "Black Ops 4" themed one is pretty awesome. The replacement buttons are dirt cheap too.

Reactions: Pinta77

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
That "Black Ops 4" themed one is pretty awesome. The replacement buttons are dirt cheap too.
Thanks! The buttons aren't too bad at all. I did test it on smash, and it seems to work fine.

These buttons are dirt cheap, there is another site selling buttons for about $20. I don't know if they would be any better or not, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the same manufacturer. I've heard complaints about the $20 ones that are very similar to the complaints I have with these ones.

Anyway, my next controller project will probably be to make an even better controller with led lights that will light up the translucent buttons. I will get back with pictures whenever I get around to that

sienar

Jun 23, 2019
AGName
sienar
AG Join Date
Sep 10, 2005
I'd be interested to know how the analog stick rubber holds up. I've been thinking of replacing mine.

If the thumbsticks are really bad you should be able to replace the springs. Lubing up the dpad pivot also helps that quite a bit.

Pinta77

Donator
Original poster
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I'd be interested to know how the analog stick rubber holds up. I've been thinking of replacing mine.

If the thumbsticks are really bad you should be able to replace the springs. Lubing up the dpad pivot also helps that quite a bit.

I didnt think to do that. I will try that. I have been using it for quite a bit now and it's doing well.

Make a donation