GC Gamecube digital AV out port

somacast

Original poster
Registered
Jul 13, 2019
AGName
somacast
hi,

I am aware that a few plug and play gc to hdmi adapters are available now, and of course gchdmi out mod chip, however i was wondering if i can get the signals required from gc to a wii2hdmi adapter corresponding pins to get it work , afaik that wii2hdmi needs component signal then makes it hdmi out, so can't the same be fed to it from a gc somehow ?

thanks

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
The GC component cables actually has the circuity which converts the Gamecube's digital out into a component signal, and the HDMI adapter does similar. Whereas the Wii actually outputs the component signal right out of the AV port.

The Wii2HDMI adapters is simply an adapter with a component to HDMI converter built inside. I actually love those little adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: somacast

somacast

Original poster
Registered
Jul 13, 2019
AGName
somacast
The GC component cables actually has the circuity which converts the Gamecube's digital out into a component signal, and the HDMI adapter does similar. Whereas the Wii actually outputs the component signal right out of the AV port.

The Wii2HDMI adapters is simply an adapter with a component to HDMI converter built inside. I actually love those little adapters.

ok i saw the diagram you are referring to, so is this ic they use in the gc hdmi adapters? so if i follow this i get component out as i can see red green & blue , then i need to convert that to hdmi , is this ic

but how basically does a gamecube hdmi adapter work ? i think they use something else for a direct hdmi out ? thnx

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190913-231807_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190913-231807_Google.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0

Contezero

Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Conte Zero
AG Join Date
Dec 17, 2017
The chip in the diagram is inside the official Nintendo Gamecube component cable. You cannot buy the chip alone since it was made by Macronix for Nintendo and it's sold out everywhere (a bunch of chips surfaced years ago on the market but not they are not available anymore). If you buy a component cable you can connect it to a wii2hdmi adapter but it's not worth the effort. Original component cables are expensive and, for much less money, you can buy an hdmi adapter and enjoy a full digital to digital conversion for both video and audio.

The hdmi adapter is based on the design of Unseen aka Ingo Korb. Unseen started to reverse engineer the component cable and then created a clone of it, with also digital audio. Then it evolved in a full digital hdmi solution, with also a couple of extra features. Everything is open source and you can have a look on how it works and how build it yourself here:

All hdmi converter are based on his work.

Reactions: somacast

somacast

Original poster
Registered
Jul 13, 2019
AGName
somacast
The chip in the diagram is inside the official Nintendo Gamecube component cable. You cannot buy the chip alone since it was made by Macronix for Nintendo and it's sold out everywhere (a bunch of chips surfaced years ago on the market but not they are not available anymore). If you buy a component cable you can connect it to a wii2hdmi adapter but it's not worth the effort. Original component cables are expensive and, for much less money, you can buy an hdmi adapter and enjoy a full digital to digital conversion for both video and audio.

The hdmi adapter is based on the design of Unseen aka Ingo Korb. Unseen started to reverse engineer the component cable and then created a clone of it, with also digital audio. Then it evolved in a full digital hdmi solution, with also a couple of extra features. Everything is open source and you can have a look on how it works and how build it yourself here:

All hdmi converter are based on his work.

thank you very much, well explained

g33weave

Dec 13, 2020
I’m no pro at any sort of electronics, but I know you all are talking about this port...image.jpg
Right? Well I’m looking for a cheap substitute for the “Digital AV Out component” since all of the others are rare and pricey. If anyone can find one with a link or anything please help! Thanks chaps!

Make a donation