• Good day, Guest!
    Flowers in Chania

OG is raising money to form a non profit community interest company enabling us to preserve more history than ever before!

Unfortunately, like most things in life this is going to cost money and we're asking for some help from the community. All users will be given donator status, along with early updates and depending on how much you help us with we'll try to chuck in some free merch!

This will cost us roughly $850 for two years including business address/phone number etc which is needed to register a business bank account within the UK.

You can help us by making a custom pledge, or by making a general pledge as it all helps us greatly. We're happy for a one time donators via Ko-Fi, Patreon asks monthly so please be aware. To prevent charge backs we're unable to accept Paypal at this time. Although once live this will be sorted too!

One time donations can be sent via our Ko-Fi,

Or for monthly please visit our Patreon, Ko-Fi is preferred as they charge us less fee's. Become a Patron of Obscure Gamers!
  • The Obscure Gamers 2020 Light and Dark themes are now live! Please report any bugs and make any suggestions you may have to a member of staff.

GC Gamecube GC Loader, SD2SP2 Drive Replacment Options

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010

level42

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
level42
AG Join Date
Mar 27, 2012
Any word on restock?

Nully

2019 Donator
2019 Donator
Reaction score
AG User Name
lh
AG Join Date
Get a $2 xenogc, burn a swiss disc, assemble the SD2SP2 yourself and you're looking at $10 for the entire library sans the SD card.

Or just do this, been around forever.

GC Loader for what, if your laser is dead you can get a brand new one from China for $5-8. I don't understand half the stuff coming out nowadays... Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.

cta

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
GC Loader for what
Is the SD2SP2 at a full 100% compatibility yet? OK, the GCL isn't either, but I believe the odds of reaching that goal are higher for a solution simply mimicking an original drive than for one trying to patch each and every file access.

Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.
I believe you're thinking of gaming PCs. RGB ALL THE THINGS!

Alastor

2019 Donator
2019 Donator
Reaction score
AG User Name
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
Looking forward to play around with these things now that I bought a Carby.
One of my Cubes has a broken disc drive that I may or may not be able to revive with proper pot adjustments, but GC Loader looks like the proper upgrade to me. Adding in a SD2SP2 to store settings etc seems like the sensible thing to do as well.

Greg2600

AG Refugee
Refugee
Reaction score
AG User Name
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Get a $2 xenogc, burn a swiss disc, assemble the SD2SP2 yourself and you're looking at $10 for the entire library sans the SD card.

GC Loader for what, if your laser is dead you can get a brand new one from China for $5-8. I don't understand half the stuff coming out nowadays... Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.
Is the SD2SP2 at a full 100% compatibility yet? OK, the GCL isn't either, but I believe the odds of reaching that goal are higher for a solution simply mimicking an original drive than for one trying to patch each and every file access.
The SD2SP2 is barely more than $10 assembled, and it's not fully compatible. It has the same streaming audio issues that any SD-Gecko method uses, and you don't have easy access to the microSD card. GC Loader is far more compatible, I think probably fully unless certain games simply don't run on SWISS. It's not about replacing dead lasers, it's about an inexpensive method at high compatibility and using roms not actual discs. I'm not a big fan of pulling the drive hardware out myself, but there doesn't seem like there's going to be a better method.

Cammy

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Cammy
I am foaming at the mouth for this to release! Can't wait to load all those sweet NTSC-U roms and not have to use my crappy PAL version discs any longer. Curse Nintendo for not including 480p for PAL region.

kabojnk

Staff member
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Cant wait for the GC Loader PNP. Looks awesome!

kabojnk

Staff member
2020 Donator
2019 Donator
Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
Got my pre-order in :)

Site is getting pounded with traffic. Looks like will sell out in well under an hour. 900 units sold out in half an hour...

Cammy

Registered
Registered
Reaction score
AG User Name
Cammy
Managed to miss out as I just couldn't get through to place an order. I am sure loads of scalpers got two or more though, so that is nice.

Alastor

2019 Donator
2019 Donator
Reaction score
AG User Name
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
I also missed it, but oh well. One of the next preorder rounds will be good enough for me. :D