Jun 23, 2010

Nully

Donator
Donator
Sep 14, 2019
AGName
lh
AG Join Date
Get a $2 xenogc, burn a swiss disc, assemble the SD2SP2 yourself and you're looking at $10 for the entire library sans the SD card.

Or just do this, been around forever.

lwjn9pxx76s31.png

GC Loader for what, if your laser is dead you can get a brand new one from China for $5-8. I don't understand half the stuff coming out nowadays... Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
GC Loader for what
Is the SD2SP2 at a full 100% compatibility yet? OK, the GCL isn't either, but I believe the odds of reaching that goal are higher for a solution simply mimicking an original drive than for one trying to patch each and every file access.

Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.
I believe you're thinking of gaming PCs. RGB ALL THE THINGS!

Alastor

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
Looking forward to play around with these things now that I bought a Carby.
One of my Cubes has a broken disc drive that I may or may not be able to revive with proper pot adjustments, but GC Loader looks like the proper upgrade to me. Adding in a SD2SP2 to store settings etc seems like the sensible thing to do as well.

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Get a $2 xenogc, burn a swiss disc, assemble the SD2SP2 yourself and you're looking at $10 for the entire library sans the SD card.

GC Loader for what, if your laser is dead you can get a brand new one from China for $5-8. I don't understand half the stuff coming out nowadays... Reminds me of spinning rims for your car or something sometimes.

Is the SD2SP2 at a full 100% compatibility yet? OK, the GCL isn't either, but I believe the odds of reaching that goal are higher for a solution simply mimicking an original drive than for one trying to patch each and every file access.

The SD2SP2 is barely more than $10 assembled, and it's not fully compatible. It has the same streaming audio issues that any SD-Gecko method uses, and you don't have easy access to the microSD card. GC Loader is far more compatible, I think probably fully unless certain games simply don't run on SWISS. It's not about replacing dead lasers, it's about an inexpensive method at high compatibility and using roms not actual discs. I'm not a big fan of pulling the drive hardware out myself, but there doesn't seem like there's going to be a better method.

Cammy

Nov 4, 2019
AGName
Cammy
I am foaming at the mouth for this to release! Can't wait to load all those sweet NTSC-U roms and not have to use my crappy PAL version discs any longer. Curse Nintendo for not including 480p for PAL region.

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
Cant wait for the GC Loader PNP. Looks awesome!

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
Got my pre-order in :)

Site is getting pounded with traffic. Looks like will sell out in well under an hour. 900 units sold out in half an hour...

Reactions: Greg2600

Cammy

Nov 4, 2019
AGName
Cammy
Managed to miss out as I just couldn't get through to place an order. I am sure loads of scalpers got two or more though, so that is nice.

Alastor

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
I also missed it, but oh well. One of the next preorder rounds will be good enough for me. :D

Greg2600

Original poster
Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
There's another one THIS THURSDAY Feb 20

Borman

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Jul 31, 2018
Did he say when the GC loaders will be shipping? Looking forward to getting mine :D

kabojnk

Insert Title Here
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
Feb 3, 2019
Donations
£126.57
Did he say when the GC loaders will be shipping? Looking forward to getting mine :D

Supposed to ship sometime in April according to the website.

supersega

Donator
Donator
Registered
Nov 25, 2019
AGName
supersega
AG Join Date
Jul 25, 2014
Ehh, I bet unless that's the updated date, it will be pushed back farther. Team Xecuter's SX modchips got pushed back due to the outbreak of Coronavirus in China (or so some people speculate), though I know even sites like JLCPCB shut down during the time of the sickness, probably creating a crazy long backlog.

All I wanted were my breakout boards. :(

Alastor

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
Managed to get a pre-order in this time. Waiting until May or a while longer is fine by me.

I wonder if anybody who has gotten their hands on a GC Loader has an opinion regarding the necessity of future firmware updates? People are praising the device for its compatibility already, I wonder if there are some minor issues or incompatibilities except not being able to save settings to the SD card in the Loader itself..

Alastor

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
I recently received my GC Loader and it's great so far. It boots into Swiss faster than the console can finish its bootup animation and so far I could play every title I tried - with minimal load times! I have not tested multi-disc games yet, but the latest firmware should handle those just fine. Overall, it is a great way to play Gamecube titles and I would definitely recommend it.

Make a donation