PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
I have for the last 4 days been attempting to play Astral Chain. The more I play the more frustrated at it I got. It just simply wasn't the game I wanted it to be.

While trying to figure out what I did want to play I glanced over at my PS2 that so happens to be right next to my Switch. THAT was where the games I want to play right now are. Stuff like Shinobi, Nanobreaker (is that even a good game?), Gungrave, that's what I'm craving right now.

So last night instead of suffering through an investigation in Astral Chain that was going nowhere, I played some Kunoichi (Nightshade) and Ikkitousen on PS2.

They don't seem to make those fast 60fps action games anymore. When they do it's Devil May Cry 5 a game with great action but really drab lifeless environments.

It's almost like if I want these games, I have to make them myself....

Got me thinking though, what else isn't being made anymore that used to be everywhere? What are you missing.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Even I love the Tony Hawk games. Well the first 4 anyway.
Then it started veering off in unwanted directions.
Then THPS5 happened...

such a shame.

People want skateboarding games to come back too. Most of them were just mindless fun. Much like the games I long for. Not everything has to tell what the developers THINK is a deep story. Sometimes we just want to turn our brains off and Oli, or shoot things.

Reactions: EvanSki

clueless

Registered
Sep 5, 2019
AGName
snobgamergr
AG Join Date
29 August 2015
I really miss the pick up and play aspect of gaming.
Also, I miss snowboarding games. No one seems to care anymore in developing one

Reactions: Windjammer

Windjammer

Registered
Aug 25, 2019
AGName
Windjammer
AG Join Date
Feb 2, 2009
I really miss the pick up and play aspect of gaming.

This times 100!

I've been getting very frustrated when I want to sit down to play what I would describe as a pick up and play game (Crash Nitro Cart - I'm looking at you) and find it taking upwards of 10 minutes to actually get into a race.

4 player+ couch multiplayer games would get my vote. Gangbeasts is the only game in recent years that has scratched that itch for me. The distopic sport genre has always served this crowd well; Think Speedball,Dead Ball Zone, Bloodlines, Blast Chamber etc... While some of these are middling games they are always great with some beer+friends.

Pinta77

Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
Pinta77
AG Join Date
February 27, 2018
I sort of miss 3D platformers. I know they aren't totally gone, it just seems like they're less and less. I guess open world games have sort of picked up the slack for me in my adult life.

esprade

Registered
Sep 7, 2019
AG Join Date
April 25th 2011
Panzer Dragoon. Such amazing games, I don't know I could list Saturn games forever but this series really stood out and I don't think very much like it has been replicated since.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Virtua Fighter, Out Run, Wave Race, F-Zero, and Ridge Racer are all series that could really use new games.

Mord.Fustang

Registered
Jun 17, 2019
AGName
Mord.Fustang
AG Join Date
Feb 17, 2013
3D style Beat Em Ups, like Fighting Force.

Anybody know anything similar?

Reactions: Anthony817

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Seems to me what got lost is mostly the simplicity. With tech progressing games got more realistic, more complex - yet somehow, less fun. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, we can include realistic physics, convincing fluid dynamics and a fully-dynamic, adapting open world, but did anyone stop to think if we should? Would Bubble Bobble gain anything from having bullet drop?

i miss western dungeon crawler like Dungeon Master
I feel you. What's missing here is simply the grid. Stealth FPSes just don't have that any more, because a fully 3D world you can navigate freely in is just more realistic and therefore "better".

Last edited:

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Panzer Dragoon. Such amazing games, I don't know I could list Saturn games forever but this series really stood out and I don't think very much like it has been replicated since.

Virtua Fighter, Out Run, Wave Race, F-Zero, and Ridge Racer are all series that could really use new games.

How is this generation almost over and no Ridge Racer 8?

I went back to Ridge Racer 6 on 360 it still feels fresh. Too bad 360 BC updates ceased

karsten

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
karsten
AG Join Date
Mar 4, 2014

cta

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
Grimrock being realtime might turn some people away. Iirc there's another similar, promising crawler currently in the making that's turn based, which I can't seem to find it atm. But yes, that genre isn't totally dead any more.
Come to think of it, there was the also the Doom and Wolfenstein RPGs as well as Orcs & Elves, all of which were pretty decent (for being mobile titles).

Last edited:

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
All out Vehicular Combat! Twisted Metal and then the Vigilante 8 series were my absolute favorites growing up. Super let down that Vigilante 8 Arcade wasn't made backwards compatible on Xbox One.

3D style Beat Em Ups, like Fighting Force.

Anybody know anything similar?

Well, Dynamite Cop/Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade games were very similar and fun. The first was on Saturn, then the sequel was on Dreamcast, but the PS2/PS3 got the first game "remastered" and you could select the original graphics or updated. It is one of the PS2 Classics on PS3 that fully displays in true HD. I have it on my modded PS3 and love it.

Here are videos of the first 2 games, showing off the PS2 "remaster" of part 1 and the Dreamcast exclusive sequel.

I have so many memories planing that game with my brother back in the late 90's on Saturn.

Also there was a sequel to Fighting Force on PSX and Dreamcast, check it out.

Last edited:

J-Doran1968

Oct 3, 2019
AGName
Conker2012
AG Join Date
19th October 2012
I miss really good, linear, first person shooters. Open world games can be fantastic, but there are so many of them at the moment, and I miss the days when first person shooters concentrated on a consistent, linear journey through the game, where the situations were paced for maximum impact, and where, if the game was intended to be story drive, then the story didn't have to make allowances for the randomness or non-linearity of more open world games.

I also miss the days when more than a few FPS games would be on the horizon at any one time. Nowadays there are so few FPS made, especially promising looking ones, that there never seems to be more than two or three to anticipate at any one time.

Make a donation