Games with large amounts of unused content

Weinflames

Original poster
Registered
Mar 25, 2020
AGName
Weinflames
Hey everyone,

I (like most of us) enjoy reading about those things we almost played. I find particularly interesting those games with tons of unused content in the cartridge/disc, like Silent Hill: Homecoming, and I was wondering what other games have large amounts of content that almost made it.

Thanks!

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
It’s maybe not a “large” amount, but F-Zero GX on the GC contains almost the entire arcade version (F-Zero AX) which can be enabled with a cheat code.

Reactions: Hazard

Weinflames

Original poster
Registered
Mar 25, 2020
AGName
Weinflames
It’s maybe not a “large” amount, but F-Zero GX on the GC contains almost the entire arcade version (F-Zero AX) which can be enabled with a cheat code.
Well, definitely large compared to most games! I guess it was the easiest way for the devs to implement the arcade tracks.

Druid II

Registered
Jun 5, 2019
Metal Slug X had nearly all of Metal Slug 3 in it, except for the last level. Evidently they had the game half done by that point but decided to remix Metal Slug 2 first (rightly so because MS2 had so much slowdown, it was unplayable).

Metal Slug 5 had many things in it that got cut, the game was probably rushed. In the final level you had to fight the cultist leader, a gigantic stone turtle, and there was a special prisoner who was a commando similar to you, once freed he follows you and shoots enemies not unlike Hyakutaro. The last scene of the game makes significantly more sense with the missing bosses put in place and it was also an allusion to Atuin (the stone turtle, carrying the elephant robots, on which the final boss area resides).
There's a fan patch that restores some of it, but who knows if it is done as intended. The concept art shows the area just like Atuin, but the fan patch has the stone turtle as a separate enemy before the elephant pillars.

Streets of Rage 3 had auto scrolling bike levels, at some point you may have been able to pick up bikes in normal levels too, some cut moves, and a good third of Stage 6 cut out. On stage 6 you were meant to locate the general, then a path on the bottom would open up, connecting to the right side of the complex. You'd have to find the exit yourself.
And of course the western game was bastardized completely compared to the Japanese original.

DeCapAttack was also a western title that had everything in it changed, not unlike Puyo Puyo or Mario 2. The Japanese version was Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken. They took the basic gameplay but changed the setting completely. For the better in this case.

You might want to browse TCRF.net, it's a site dedicated to cut content.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
Well, definitely large compared to most games! I guess it was the easiest way for the devs to implement the arcade tracks.

I could be wrong (I haven’t played it in AX mode that much) but I think the gameplay is the same between the 2 versions. The only difference is with the demo loop and the menus. Anyway, if you have a cheat disc like the Action Replay or if you’re able to run Swiss, you can see it for yourself. Personally I prefer using Swiss, since that way you don’t have to enter the code manually every time.

Make a donation