AG Join Date
Sep 10, 2005
A lot of neat stuff can be found by trawling through patent archives

Various Nintendo/Sony playstation patents
ninps patent 1.pngninps 2.pngninps 3.pngninps 4.png

Early controller as seen with a dev kit
ps cont patent 4.png

Slightly later PSX controllers
ps cont patent 1.pngps cont patent 2.pngps cont patent 3.pngps cont patnet 8.png

Dualshock/dual analog
ps cont patent 6.png

PS3 boomerang

ps3 controller 2.pngps3 controller 1.png

Early PS4 controller
ps cont patent 5.png

Funny xbox controller, circa 2008
xbox controller patent.png

sienar

Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
AGName
sienar
AG Join Date
Sep 10, 2005
The first PSP
psp proto.png

Nintendo filled a large number of design patents for the gamecube controller. Here are some of the strangest
gc design.png

Reactions: Vervexx

EvanSki

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 19, 2019
Nice to see the patent for the prototype nintendo play station, I've been interested in those ever since I saw Ben heck fix one

Arcadia

Donator
Donator
Community Contributor
May 30, 2019
Donations
£8.55
AGName
Arcadia
Nice to see the patent for the prototype nintendo play station, I've been interested in those ever since I saw Ben heck fix one

I've played it, one of the best moments of my life (although the games were the regular SF II and Mario Kart).

Reactions: Vervexx and EvanSki

Vervexx

Registered
Jun 16, 2019
Always loved looking at those patent entries, a lot of great (or interesting) ideas that may or may not have come to fruition. Hell, there's even some downright crazy stuff.

Saved a few of those on my other rig for archiving, might share some of the most peculiars later (but as you mentioned, they are fairly available online).

For the moment, I only have the DSi patent drawing downloaded on this computer, still pretty nice :

DS.jpg

Source for more technical goodies about the DSi : https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2112594A2/fr?assignee=nintendo&oq=nintendo&page=1

Last edited:

Make a donation