Gauging interest in disc resurfacing service

Discussion in 'General Discussion Lounge' started by Digmac, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Digmac

Digmac Ex Staff Gold Member

Hey Guys,

So I’m looking into getting a disc resurfacing machine to start up perhaps a local/online disc repair service. I could do games for all consoles and I’d offer reasonable rates. I was thinking $2 per CD/DVD or $4 per BluRay, customer pays shipping.

Would anyone be interested in this? Once I got skilled at the process I’d open it up to resurfacing disc based builds.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Gameboi64 and MonkeyBoyJoey like this.
  2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey Chatbox Archive Watchdog

I like this idea. My Disc Doctor has seen much better days so this would be a useful service for people like me.

3. Gameboi64

Gameboi64 not your everyday person

I would, especially since I have a few disks that need resurfacing and I don't have the money needed to afford one.

4. sadikyo

sadikyo Member

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on resurfacing? I know some people have a problem with resurfaced discs and others don't care. I personally don't have any issue with it, especially if it restores a damaged disc to working again.

I have several PS1 discs that are pretty messed up, but I've been hesitant to get them resurfaced because I didn't know if that would impact people wanting them or not.

5. Braintrash

Braintrash Member

It's not magic.
    I had scratched discs, which played fine after resurfacing, but any rip attempt ended with errors.
    Also, I heard there was problems with resurfacing blu-ray, but it may have been because of the use of an old model of resurfacing machine.

6. gaming247

gaming247 Staff Member

Resurfacing is better than an otherwise unreadable disc. But yes, it's not magic and there are risks.

7. Shovelthumb

Shovelthumb Dev Kit Owner

I remember a friend of mine spent a god few hundred £ on buying some real decent equipment, but he was spending £1.50 to earn £2.00, 10 to earn 12, if that makes sense, it's risky but if the equipment doesn't die it'll tend to hold value quite well also.

Good luck with the venture if you do decide to press on with it (ignore my terrible pun). ;)

Digmac likes this.