Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
First world problems... How much time do you spend in the menu versus in-game?

I get where you're coming from tho, for me it's the RetroArch menu "system".

That's a perfectly valid point. 10 years ago, probably wouldn't say anything, but when basically every other device has a cool menu, it spoils you. Particularly when the DC is 10,000x more sophisticated than a Mega Drive. It deserves something at least bordering on professional looking. Furthermore, his and GD-EMU prices are absurd, and are keeping many aficionados from partaking.

Alastor

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jul 11, 2019
AGName
Alastor
AG Join Date
Jun 11, 2012
I think we have all been spoiled to a certain degree by coverflow-ish, fancy game selection screens at this point, but it really comes down to how effortless you can select and start the game you want to play and in that regard, the USB-GDROM just works.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010

Well, hoping your menu continues to progress! Obviously, that's not going to work on the USB-GDROM!

Reactions: darcagn

Gromber

Registered
Mar 31, 2020
AGName
Gromber
I've had some problems with madsheep's GDMENU_SD.
My antivirus don't like GDMENU_SD. And from time to time when moving content it messes up the folders. I can't find the source code to it to try to fix.
So I've created an alternative program. Been using it for some time now. Anyone want to help me test it? AFAIK it works only in windows.
There's also gui version for FamilyGuy's gdishrink in the works. And I'm testing a lot of games trying to figure out the incompatible ones.
your tool looks fine, but please add .mds support, love sort list button.

sega smash pack i think it detects bad length (gdi have several track0X.raw), and a total sd lengh could be great, to avoid copy new games.

i downloaded GDMENU_SD from here and dont detect virus https://mega.nz/file/UE0FQDob#K2R8LRoZyhNUq4rdfHoDG6MVmYlf3_iHncm2APzSMVw

Last edited:

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
@Gromber thanks for the feedback. I will look into Sega Smash Pack. It's the one from TOSEC?
For mds support I need to find how the format works. There's many games using it?

darcagn

Registered
May 30, 2019
dcemulation.org
AGName
darcagn
AG Join Date
May 12, 2007
@Gromber thanks for the feedback. I will look into Sega Smash Pack. It's the one from TOSEC?
For mds support I need to find how the format works. There's many games using it?

CDI is by far the most used format for DC games, but NRG (Nero) and MDS/MDF (Alcohol 120%) are quite common as well.
IMG4DC tools are open source: https://github.com/sizious/img4dc
And support CDI and MDS creation, but doing CDDA tracks is only supported by the MDS image function and not the CDI function. So some people use the format.

Of course, you can easily convert to CDI by mounting the MDS/MDF in a virtual drive and creating an image from the virtual drive using DiscJuggler, but it would be nice for these utilities to support it

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
Anyone knows if there's a compatibility list for GDIShrink by @FamilyGuy ?

Gizmo613

Oct 10, 2019
AGName
Gizmo613
AG Join Date
Jul 14, 2017
Anyone knows if there's a compatibility list for GDIShrink by @FamilyGuy ?
Am wondering too. Resident Evil 2 black screens and goes back to the menu for me. Ready to Rumble crashes at the character selection screen.

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
I started to compile a list of the problematic games. Also some games wont work with rgb scart. I'm taking note of these too.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
At the very least, I could implement a check to not shrink incompatible games.

@sonik If you could add the md5 checksum of the 1st_read.bin to your list it'd help me greatly.

Reactions: Anthony817

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
The product code and CRC found on the IP is not enough? I was planning to use this info.

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
The product code and CRC found on the IP is not enough? I was planning to use this info.
Best is CRC of 1st_read.bin as I don't actually read any information from the IP. I have code for that, but it's not required so I'd rather not do that.

Feel free to gather as much info as you care to, having options in the future is good. But the md5 is the easiest and fastest way for me to implement that fix, and I have very little free time nowadays.

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
The IP have a CRC field.
How to get the checksum of the 1st_read without extracting the file. There are tools for this?

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
The IP have a CRC field.
How to get the checksum of the 1st_read without extracting the file. There are tools for this?
Gditools can do it :) by extracting to ram and computing md5 there.

It's actually one of the check that I do to ensure the shrinking is valid. I compare the md5 of the 1st_read before and after shrinking as a sanity check.

I could write a simple script for you that spits it out.

Last edited:

sonik

Registered
Jul 24, 2019
AGName
sonik
AG Join Date
Mar 15, 2004
I could write a simple script for you that spits it out.
Please! It will be handy.
I will still get the Product Number from the IP too. As the 1st_read might be patched by the user.

Xerxes3rd

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Donations
£7.36
AGName
Xerxes3rd
I went through my US TOSEC list and tested out each title from @sonik that's marked as problematic when gdishrink is used. I shrunk each title, copied to a known working SD card, and tested with my GDEMU clone. I also used the suggestion from @FamilyGuy and grabbed the MD5 of the IP.BIN, using the following snippet:

Code:
 with GDIfile(os.path.join(disc_dirpath, disc_gdi_file_name), verbose = False) as gdi:
    ip_bin = gdi.get_bootsector()
    md5sum = hashlib.md5(ip_bin).hexdigest()

It's probably noteworthy that all the problematic titles are WinCE titles. Other noteworthy items:
  • I didn't test Taxi 2 as it's not a US game
  • Roadsters seems to work OK after using gdishrink (and it's not a WinCE game).
  • gdishrink fails on Q-bert
Anyway, my results are in the Google Sheets spreadsheet here:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sonik and FamilyGuy

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007
I went through my US TOSEC list and tested out each title from @sonik that's marked as problematic when gdishrink is used. I shrunk each title, copied to a known working SD card, and tested with my GDEMU clone. I also used the suggestion from @FamilyGuy and grabbed the MD5 of the IP.BIN, using the following snippet:

Code:
 with GDIfile(os.path.join(disc_dirpath, disc_gdi_file_name), verbose = False) as gdi:
    ip_bin = gdi.get_bootsector()
    md5sum = hashlib.md5(ip_bin).hexdigest()

It's probably noteworthy that all the problematic titles are WinCE titles. Other noteworthy items:
  • I didn't test Taxi 2 as it's not a US game
  • Roadsters seems to work OK after using gdishrink (and it's not a WinCE game).
  • gdishrink fails on Q-bert
Anyway, my results are in the Google Sheets spreadsheet here:

Thank you for doing that. I've been so busy lately that I completely forgot I said I was gonna write a small script for the checksums.

Does any WinCE game work once shrinked?

I'll try and update the code with the "blacklist" in the holidays break. If you want to send a pull request I'm all for it as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Xerxes3rd

Donator
Donator
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
Donations
£7.36
AGName
Xerxes3rd
Thank you for doing that. I've been so busy lately that I completely forgot I said I was gonna write a small script for the checksums.

Does any WinCE game work once shrinked?

I'll try and update the code with the "blacklist" in the holidays break. If you want to send a pull request I'm all for it as well.

Cheers!
No problem! I did test one shrunk WinCE game called "Armada" that worked well, at least for the 45 minutes or so that I played it. My plan is to shrink literally everything in the US TOSEC set and try each one, but I can probably start with just the WinCE titles to see how all the rest of them work.

Would you want the "blacklist" to be based on Product ID only, or also the MD5 of the IP.BIN? I ask because changing any flags in the IP.BIN (region, VGA, etc.) will obviously result in an MD5 difference. I observed that games managed using MadSheep's GDEMU SD Card Manager seemed to have different MD5s than the originals, but I haven't done a proper diff of two of them to figure out what's changed.

Make a donation