Extreme Grindcore Gamer
Original poster
Registered
Jun 5, 2019
AGName
Plavix
AG Join Date
May 17, 2012
I'm looking into the GDEMU and have very little info on it. I've been looking at video's but can't find where to get the latest menu? Is it easy like the usb gdrom is?

We need a thread here for people like me that need help.

Cheers

FamilyGuy

2049 Donator
Donator
Registered
May 31, 2019
AGName
-=FamilyGuy=-
AG Join Date
March 3, 2007

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
Shoutouts to openMenu which will be public one day.

Don't sleep on it :cool:

Current design:
FrahFnj.png

Previous design:

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
The old neuroacid SD/Menu app I felt was very good, and surely you can get it working out of the gate. I do welcome a new, updated menu though.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
The only problem with GDMENU is that it was closed source, and Neuroacid dropped off the face of the earth. I tried emailing him but he never replied almost a year ago asking if he could make it open sourced. He had a nice cheat menu built in and everything too, it was just never fully enabled so we never got to use it despite it already residing in the current final build.

neo's menu sure is shaping up nicely though. Loving the game info! @neo will it have an already built directory where cover art is stored, as well as maybe text files for game information? It looks pretty nice.

Reactions: neo and Greg2600

einsteinx2

Aug 8, 2019
github.com
Whoa I had no idea another GDEMU frontend was in the works, that looks fantastic!! Neuroacid's is fine, but this is a huge step up. Can't wait to use it!

I take it from the name "openMenu" that this will be open source?

Reactions: neo

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Also, megavolt85 is workign on his own menu as well now that will have built in support for Bleem beta, so you literally can just throw PSX iso's on it and play those games. It is also going to be built on the Dreamshell codebase. He has nothing to show just yet though. But it is nice to see all these options.

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
Awesome! I'm definitely interested in contributing what I can to this. I'm interested to see if I can build it using my Docker container dev environment (https://www.obscuregamers.com/threa...-dreamshell-dev-environments-using-docker.909).

I'm useless at ASM but I have a decent amount of C/C++ experience and I own a GDEMU. I'll reach out on Discord when I have some free time.

its written in C99/C++. you shouldnt need any asm to use the sdk written by megavolt85 or to use my abstractions over it.

Unless you wanna add/write some asm becuase its fairly fun

Reactions: einsteinx2

einsteinx2

Aug 8, 2019
github.com
Nice, sounds like I might be able to make myself useful then. What version of C++ does it use? I've written a lot more C than C++, but I've recently been using C++11 for Arduino projects and have been loving the "new" features (I know C++11 isn't all that new anymore, but PlatformIO doesn't support anything newer. But hey, at least lambdas, auto, and the new constructor features are pretty great).

neo

Feb 1, 2019
AGName
Mrneo240
AG Join Date
06/08/2010
Nice, sounds like I might be able to make myself useful then. What version of C++ does it use? I've written a lot more C than C++, but I've recently been using C++11 for Arduino projects and have been loving the "new" features (I know C++11 isn't all that new anymore, but PlatformIO doesn't support anything newer. But hey, at least lambdas, auto, and the new constructor features are pretty great).

I have a background / secret project of getting c++11 working on the DC. So far it's been mostly a bust but I was able to get some stuff working properly. I really should get back to it and keep forging on.

einsteinx2

Aug 8, 2019
github.com
I'm guessing the rather old GCC version that the toolchain uses is part of the problem? I'd love to help if I can. I have as much fun building tools and scripts as I do writing actual applications haha.

If you have a repo somewhere with your current progress, or just some notes, I'd love to take a look.

Greg2600

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 3, 2019
AGName
Greg2600
AG Join Date
Jun 23, 2010
Well, I think neo's open menu is the way to go. Like the old neroacid menu, it still relies on GDEMU's high compatibility, whereas Dreamshell is still not fully there yet.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

megavolt85

DreamShell Developer
Registered
Jun 17, 2019
www.dc-swat.ru
AGName
megavolt85
AG Join Date
its written in C99/C++. you shouldnt need any asm to use the sdk written by megavolt85 or to use my abstractions over it.

add small fix

Code:
/* 0 = reset to default img */
/* 1 to 999 = set image index */

int gdemu_set_img_num(uint16_t img_num)
{
    memset(cmd_buff, 0, 12);

cmd_buff[0] = 0x52;
    cmd_buff[1] = 0x82;
    cmd_buff[2] = (uint8_t) img_num;
    cmd_buff[3] = (uint8_t) img_num >> 8;

return send_packet_command((uint16_t *) cmd_buff);
}

Reactions: einsteinx2 and neo

Yenaphe

Aug 14, 2019
Also, megavolt85 is workign on his own menu as well now that will have built in support for Bleem beta, so you literally can just throw PSX iso's on it and play those games.

Woah, that's awesome! Any places/thread where we can follow along the development progress?

Make a donation