X360 Gears of War 1-2-3 Alpha/Beta Thread

Discussion in 'Beta Talk' started by EpicError, Apr 21, 2017.

1. EpicError

EpicError Gears of War Collector

Just posting the collection of videos about Gears of War unreleased, alpha and beta content that is out there!

Warning: Lots of videos!

2. Dudeson149

Dudeson149 Dev Kit Owner

Theres so many builds of gears of war for the 360 , not sure if it was gears 2 or 3 but theres about 80gb . I only got half of them because it took so long downloading them with my 200 kbs connection. :(

3. Demon

Demon Staff Member

I think I have a gears of war build pretty sure it was the 2010 E3 one. never tried but I should after watching those videos. Thanks for sharing :)

4. EpicError

The Gears 2 build you are talking about is called a UDN build, Unreal Development Network. They gave that out to developing that were interested in using UE3 for their titles, and to show them examples of how things were done and what was possible. The whole game is NOT included, only a campaign mission and 3 multiplayer maps. There exists Gears 1 and 3 UDN builds as well.

Yeah I got it running on my last video. You have to make some config files changes to make it run the Gears 2 menu but it works great. Only problem is, if you try to stick a grenade on the wall, the game hardlocks.

5. Dudeson149

Dudeson149 Dev Kit Owner

There full games some removed maps ect and missing colors ect and there all dated different. The only one i liked was 15gb with all dlc. Thats the only one i put on my xdk ,the rest are stored on my other pc.

EpicError likes this.
  6. Demon

Demon Staff Member

Ah that makes sense. Seems to be a 2010 build there's also a 2011 Gears of War 3 build not even sure where I got these from as I've got hundreds of gigs of data the past month or so.

TheUE3unimatrix and EpicError like this.
  7. EpicError

Yeah there is a lot of builds out there, most of them are more or less the same. Older, the more ugly.

The 2011 build is the developer build that leaked from PNET I think

Demon likes this.
  8. Dudeson149

Dudeson149 Dev Kit Owner

Im not a fan of gears so i do not know what maps are in the retail build to compare them. I did notice some things are pink or odd colors for a object..

EpicError likes this.
  9. EpicError

Fun fact, the pink objects aren't "broken", the developers intentionally used a debug material that stands out to tell other modelers that it needs UV fixing or something to do with the model.

Dudeson149 likes this.
  10. Dudeson149

Dudeson149 Dev Kit Owner

I think this is gears one , its called a small test and the xex is named wargame. Why did they call it wargame ?

[​IMG]

11. EpicError

When they went the DUDE BRO shooter, it was an actual title on the war of the gears story. So Gears 1 was always called WarGame. There is a leaked build online of this version of Gears of War with Unreal Engine v469. One of the many places the books had that the game didn't was Aspho Fields, which was a massive battle called Operation Leveler. There exists other maps as well in the prototype.

[​IMG]

12. pato

pato Member

Gears of War exists since the UE2 first announcement back in 2000 as one of the Unreal bots had the Locust sign on his back, it wasn't called WarGame, but I don't recall right now how it was called, the version we know was from the UE3 announcement at GDC 2004, but no one didn't know that the monster tech demo was from Gears of War as the game was only officially revealed at E3 2005

EDIT: It was called Unreal Warfare, I think the same name was used for the 2002 tech demo, it featured what was meant to be the COG and Locust

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-of-war-originally-conceived-as-a-battlefield/1100-6421838/

EpicError likes this.
  13. EpicError

We aren't talking about the officially released title name, we were talking about the nickname of "wargame". UE3 games always have their games nickname in the front, in this case it was "war" and always ended in "Game".

WarGame
    UTGame
    MobileGame
    UDKGame

Just later on since they knew what the title would be, and for it to be more specific to the title, it was changed to GearGame.

Dudeson149 and pato like this.
  14. TheUE3unimatrix

TheUE3unimatrix Dev Kit Owner

thats the original Gears 1 code name i have a few of those

Dudeson149 likes this.
  15. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Member