PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007

This video made me about 50% better at Shmups than I used to be.

I've seen improvement in Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi Daiouji.

I'm basically firing constantly flying in a figure eight pattern.

How do guys play your Shmups?

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I've been playing shmups more lately than I did in the past, and I find that I tend to get better just by playing them more. That's true of any game. Reading a guide or reading about strategies is an easier way to improve your skills, but just learning through trial and error is always a viable option too.

Speaking of shmups, I just ordered a copy of Kaitei Daisensou (In the Hunt) for PS1 the other day. I'm really looking forward to getting that one, since I used to love to play the arcade version in a movie theater as a kid.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
In the hunt is an Arcade archives title and I keep meaning to pick it up.

I've been learning Esp Ra de as well it's my favorite of the 3 ESP games.

Mushihimesama is what I'm playing the most though.

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
I spent a lot of time playing shmups for fun some years ago. I got good as a casual player and had decent bullet dodging ability without thinking or analyzing it in my head. I plateaud though, and the cause of the plateau was not being interested in memorizing and analyzing boss bullet patterns, which is pretty much the obstacle that always makes me die in most bullet hell shmups.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Getting reckless is usually my downfall or not understanding mechanics like in Psyvariar and Espgaluda.

dark

Registered
Jun 19, 2019
AGName
dark
AG Join Date
September 2, 2011
Heh, was recently working on making a hyperspin emulation pc, which involved obtaining gameplay videos of naomi games. I had to chuckle at the Psyvariar demo video, the guy playing it didn't know you are supposed to spin, so was just slowly moving around the screen firing the slow ineffective bullets you shoot when not spinning.

PopetherevXXVIII

Original poster
Registered
Jul 9, 2019
AGName
Godofhardcore
AG Join Date
Mar 31, 2007
Psyvariar confuses me. I know you're like supposed to almost get hit to set off the buzz mechanic.

I just got Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga Shot triggers on XBOX and double dipped on Vasara.

la-li-lu-le-lo

Registered
Jun 13, 2019
AGName
la-li-lu-le-lo
AG Join Date
2-8-2006
I recently got Psyvariar Delta for the PS4, which I think is supposed to be like an enhanced port/remake. I haven't actually played it yet though, I have a rather large backlog of games to play currently.

Make a donation