Xaeroxcore

Original poster
Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
I don´t know why this has passed unnoticed, but 1 month ago GamesRadar release an interview of Aaron Garbut, head of development and co-studio head at Rockstar North, who reflected about GTA III original launch and the impact of the game on the industry...Everything normal until some point, considering the release of GTA Trilogy Definitve Edition, but Garbut also states this: "The original team (who'd worked on GTA and GTA 2) had tried pushing the camera behind the car a little in some tests for GTA 2, but there were a few of us who were really excited by the possibilities of freely modeling a world that would stream in as needed and moving the camera right into it. We did some prototypes on the Dreamcast, and through that, got the greenlight to start GTA 3. So as the original team finished GTA 2, we formed a new team around the development of GTA 3."

https://www.gamesradar.com/20-years...st-glimpse-of-what-was-possible/#comment-jump

Do you know what that means? some high profile developer at Rockstar is revealing actually a 3D GTA prototype for dreamcast exists...or at least existed at some point... This could be the 20 years old rumored DC GTA III proto?, which looks like more like a 3D GTA 2 DC proto....It would be cool to see it someday, but i think is nearly impossible...

I really wish DC indie development reachs a level in which we can finally have those games that should be released on DC, but never arrived....Like GTA 3, VF 4, Soul Reaver 2, etc, or new indie games with that graphical complexity.

It is impossible to port the GTA III source code to DC, as they have done it with New 3DS?

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Not impossible to port, but would need a team of dozens at least to optimize and possibly need to be ported on Katana SDK to get the most out of it. Graphically GTA III never looked too impressive even on PS2 compared to other games, so DC should be able to do it. Just scene complexity like pedestrians, and traffic would obviously need to be lowered to work on 16mb ram.

However, GTA 2 is modable on DC, and some of those things like camera behind car could possibly work or making cars 3D porting mods from PC may be much easier to do. Porting the maps from GTA 1 and 1969 British maps into the DC version of 2 is possible as well as script mods for all new stories. Somebody was looking into what all was possible over at Dreamcas-Talk and those aforementioned things had been proven possible. However for a fully 3D open world driving game Driver 2 seems like a better fit for DC as you could use the PC port that was released in 2020 and mod it to make it look nicer within the limits of the DC.

Last edited:

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
This would be game changer on the Dreamcast. 3D GTA2 or somekind of 3D GTA would be Bitch-in. Hell maybe multiplayer

Reactions: Xaeroxcore

Xaeroxcore

Original poster
Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
Not impossible to port, but would need a team of dozens at least to optimize and possibly need to be ported on Katana SDK to get the most out of it. Graphically GTA III never looked too impressive even on PS2 compared to other games, so DC should be able to do it. Just scene complexity like pedestrians, and traffic would obviously need to be lowered to work on 16mb ram.

However, GTA 2 is modable on DC, and some of those things like camera behind car could possibly work or making cars 3D porting mods from PC may be much easier to do. Porting the maps from GTA 1 and 1969 British maps into the DC version of 2 is possible as well as script mods for all new stories. Somebody was looking into what all was possible over at Dreamcas-Talk and those aforementioned things had been proven possible. However for a fully 3D open world driving game Driver 2 seems like a better fit for DC as you could use the PC port that was released in 2020 and mod it to make it look nicer within the limits of the DC.
Driver 2...May be there it is our long time awaited GTA 3D Dreamcast game!! Anyone here knows someone working on that PC port?

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
No, but Ian Michael was at least looking into it. So who knows what the future brings? I really would love to see it some day. The car physics in Driver 2 really feel so awesome all these 20 years later. Plus with source code recreated from scratch for the game we can hope to see the cities and vehicles form the first 2 games ported over which the developers have already begun looking into. So there could be a lot of room to push this a bit more beyond what was possible on PSX but keep within the capabilities of the Dreamcast.

Xaeroxcore

Original poster
Registered
Aug 22, 2019
AGName
xaeroxcore
AG Join Date
Oct 17, 2012
Anyone has the chance to verify if this is real or not?

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
I am guessing it is fake. The guy left a clue in the description. Also everybody knows how to mod GTA games on PC to make them into however they want, so could be a simple HUD mod, and the graphics lowered down a ton. The thing that gets me is how much more pop in it has. So something is definately going on there.

ShakeMadMan

Registered
Jun 10, 2019
AGName
suprashake
AG Join Date
1-11-2015
My interest in it is since it's pre September 11th 2001. does it have the lan play option still in it

CaptainPS2

Registered
May 7, 2019

I agree. It would take alot of time to port it, and many people would have to be involved too.
But as the Re3 project was taken down by Take Two, I doubt this will ever happen.

teckman02

Registered
Jun 7, 2019
AGName
teckman02
AG Join Date
july 4 2017
Going based off a documentary I saw him not too long ago GTA franchise GTA three was originally intended to be first released on the train cast but was canceled early in production due to the Dreamcast being phased out.

Make a donation