Dreamcast Half life still alive

fafadou

Original poster
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
Hi all,

If I think right, it's today the release of half life : Alyx.
In memory of the half life dreamcast version Lolo retro share a photo with a dreamcast strategy guide magazine and his treasures : the Gold version and the beta version :
half life.jpg
Dear @truemaster you have worked on both and added features (not remember exactly... Better music and some improve models ?), could you tell us a little more and share again those beauty ? :)

They had been lost when AG forum closed.

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
the modifications were no downsample music. and crosshairs. the latter from pc version (they are better) most cdis from net are bad optimized, and on emulators or dc odes they named crazy taxi. mine is named Half-Life on 45000 lba. unlike most games that are downsampled to fit a cd, this one can fit no trouble there even space for dummy for better read. but loading times on gdrom are still bad. on odes is 50% faster

Last edited:
Reactions: KGRAMR and fafadou

fafadou

Original poster
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
In my memories there were gdi version with no downsample on AG forum.

Reactions: truemaster

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
yes but that was not the final version. and is one game that gdi or cdi doent matter. @Anthony817 found a diference in a map between the april and may versions, and i found that april version (the gdi one you linked) cant use analog as movement. but in any casei woudnt recoment it for standar gdrom way slow loadings

Reactions: Anthony817

fafadou

Original poster
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
@truemaster : have you keep the gdis version ?
Because I have, but not sure if something were downsample because of cd format...
And my half life gold gdi version is optimize format, I must to have a look if I can find a original one.

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
yes i have a gdi. but not the april build but latest may build that includes my modifications. it can still be as cdi. but i have it as gdi because gdemu show it with picture.

Reactions: fafadou

fafadou

Original poster
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
ok I'll share my gdis in order to compare.
I'll keep gdi because I need them to play with dreamshell.

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
dreamshell doent play it in cdI? maybe it needs modification i dont know. my has assembler games logo after valve logo.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Wait, you have a better version with the best audio and crosshair? I don't have this version and I didn't know you made a modified release. Could you please share this with us? I would love to have this! ;)

Reactions: truemaster

fafadou

Original poster
Registered
Aug 16, 2019
AGName
fafadou
Yeah, it's why we have done a gdi version of half life Gold and half life GDR, but I keep only the opt version.
I don't remember if they are update by @truemaster or not.

I'm uploading my versions.

[edit] here they are :

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony817

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
true half life never finished for dc the latest build ia dated on may 2001. the gdi riped from a found recordable gigadisc back in assemblergames were april 2001. there is gold edition though propably a nickname from the one made the cdi back when april build had leaked
edit typo
the gold edition that was on tiz was based on may 2001 build that had leaked before years ago

Last edited:

truemaster

Registered
May 31, 2019
the half-life (gold) it was on tiz but now is closed for good. any may 2001 build is good and same thing as this were.

Anthony817

Community Contributor
Registered
Jun 2, 2019
AG Join Date
May 12, 2010
Oh hehe, that "Gold" version was only what TuxTheWise called his version since I believe it was one of the first optimized for better file structure on the iso to cut down on noise from the Dreamcast disc drive seeking data, and one of the first with workign saves. That was more or less an unofficial slightly better optimized version than the original leak from 2003. Another few versions came out after that which had been made to load even faster than that. I forgot who made them but remember that Tux release was only named that because he wanted to. I was the one who uploaded that version to TIZ when I used to be a moderator there. Maybe I shouldn't have included "Gold" in the title to cut down on confusion? :p

Make a donation